Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modern Night Magic Tournament Report

Dae of Judgment
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 22

Modern Night Magic Tournament Report Empty Modern Night Magic Tournament Report

Post by Dae of Judgment Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:50 am

This was a different location than what I am used to since I am on vacation right now.

Modern Night Magic Tournament Report:
    Decklist:
    4 Arcbound Ravagers
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Signal Pest
    4 Ornithopter
    3 Etched Champion
    2 Memnite
    1 Master of Etherium

4 Cranial Plating
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Springleaf Drum

4 Thoughtcast
    3 Dispatch

4 Blinkmoth Nexus
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Darksteel Citadel
    3 Glimmervoid
    1 Island

Sideboard:
    4 Spell Pierce
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Spellskite
    1 Ancient Grudge
    1 Wear // Tear
    1 Whipflare
    1 Dispatch
    1 Etched Champion
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Grafdigger’s Cage

4 Round Event – 16 People

Round 1: MonoU Tron
    Game 1: It flew by quickly with a turn 2 Master of Etherium into a Turn 3 Cranial Plating. The opponent mulled to 5 and this hand didn’t hold off too well. All that came out was a turn 3 Platinum Angel getting Dispatched.

Game 2: I ended up siding in my 4 Spell Pierce against this deck along with my Ancient Grudge just in case. Not the greatest plan, but it held it’s all. The game lasted until turn 5 because of my opponent casting 2 Wurmcoils. I kept it held off with Arcbound shenanigans, but I ended up losing to his second Wurmcoil coming out and not having an answer for it.
    1-1

Game 3: This was a quick one. I took out 2 Spell Pierces and put in place a Dispatch and another Ancient Grudge to have more answers against his wincons instead of his counterspells. He kept a lazy hand. My first turn, I dropped practically everything into a Thoughtcast to draw a Memnite and Dispatch. I now had 2 Dispatches in hand. I only used one to eat up a Solemn Simalacrum. He didn’t seem to draw too many answers or to use up some Thirst for Knowledge.
    2-1

Round 2: This one was against the Polymorph brew.
    Game 1: Quite easy with a Turn 3 army of Signal Pest, 3 of them. Having 2 Ornithopters and 1 Vault Skirge sealed the deal with evasiveness. The opponent had only Timely Reinforcements to stall the game. I won on turn 4.
    1-0

Game 2: I ended up siding in 4 Spell Pierces and 1 Whipflare to help against any token generators. Nothing too exciting happened except having my Cranial Plating countered on turn 2, still ended up winning with a Steel Overseer and Arcbound Ravager fun. The game was really me just playing around with the opponent. The deck was rather slow and the mana base needed work, I think. It was a U/W/R deck with a splash of Black.
    2-0

Round 3, Top 4: U/R Merfolk
    Game 1: The only game that I ended up winning by racing the opponent. My opponent didn’t have enough draw power to keep filling her hand and was relying on top deck early enough. I won by having out Etched Champions to attack. Lightning Bolts and Electrolyze here seemed to be the best cards, but only one Electrolyze showed up to take care of my Memnites and Vault Skirge. 1-0

Game 2: I ended up keeping a handful of low drops and exploded too early on turns 1 and 2 without much of any good top decks. I lost to an army of lords the ended up outracing me this time.
    1-1

Game 3: This was a really fun one that kept up until turn 7, I believe. I kept a slow, but reliable, hand. 3 lands, 2 Etched, 1 Arcbound and a Thoughtcast. I was thinking that if this worked, it was be pretty damn cool.  I got away with having 2 Etched Champions and 1 Master of Etherium on the field with 4 lands. We were both having a blast just seeing what would happen at the end. This was all on the last turn, I was about to declare attackers, but got Hurkyl’s Recalled and lost most of my field presence without having an answer. Nest turn he won, I actually gave in because I was too low to even get a comeback.
    1-2

Round 4, Finals: UB Faeries.
    Game 1: I had two creatures on the battlefield, he had a Vedalken Shackles. He was at only 2 life and I had a 3/3 Vault Skirge with a 2/5 Ornithopter. I swung with my Vault Skirge. He tried to take hold of my Ornithopter, but I used Springleaf Drums to tap it before anything happened.
    1-0

Game 2: This was a breeze with my siding in Spellskites and my Torpor Orb to stop Vendilion Cliques, Pestermite and Spellstutter Sprite. I only drew the Torpor Orb off of a Thoughtcast. Slowed his ETB triggers down enough to win quickly enough. A lot of the issues that I faced this game was chump blocking, but the old held off for a short while. I won with a Cranial Plating attached to an Inkmoth Nexus and about 3-4 attacks. Counterspells stopped my Dispatches and Arcbound Ravagers. The opponent seemed to focus more on Spell Snares than other counterspells.
    2-0

Some decks were really different this time around. I never faced Faeries before or looked at them, so I don't know how they play too well.
    The Merfolk deck was different with the red splash for cards like Lightning Bolt, Electrolyze. The deck also seemed to have a white splash, which the girl mentioned, for Boros Charm and Lightning Helix.
    A Polymorph brew was a stronger version of my friend's Mass Polymorph deck with more of a focus on bringing out Progenitus and Griselbrand. The deck used manlands and Windbrisk Heights as back ups. I didn't see any Linger Souls-esque cards so flying is a weakness for this deck.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:41 pm