Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Modern] Blue Tron w/ PTQ Tournament Report

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[Modern] Blue Tron w/ PTQ Tournament Report Empty [Modern] Blue Tron w/ PTQ Tournament Report

Post by Ashiok Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:35 am

Creatures:
    1 Treasure Mage
    3 Solemn Simulacrum
    1 Wurmcoil Engine
    1 Platinum Angel
    1 Sundering Titan

Non-Creature Artifacts:
    4 Expedition Map
    3 Talisman of Dominance
    1 Oblivion Stone
    1 Batterskull
    2 Mindslaver

Instants:
    4 Remand
    1 Cyclonic Rift
    4 Thirst for Knowledge
    1 Gifts Ungiven
    4 Condescend
    3 Repeal
    1 Spell Burst

Sorceries:
    1 Fabricate

Land:
    9 Island
    4 Urza's Tower
    4 Urza's Mine
    4 Urza's Power Plant
    1 Tectonic Edge
    1 Academy Ruins

Sideboard:
    3 Dismember
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Squelch
    2 Spell Snare
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Spreading Seas
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 AEtherize

This is the list I'm playing for this PTQ season. Went 6-3 last weekend.

Round 1 vs Ad Nauseum Combo
    This round is fairly straightforward. His deck just isn't designed to beat a deck with a lot of countermagic unless he draws specifically Boseiju, which he never did. Game 1 I was able to Mindslaver him then Ad Nauseum him for his entire life total. Game 2 he had a quick start of suspending 2 Lotus Blooms. Quick turned to slow, however, when I Remanded both of them when he attempted to cast them and I had enough time to Mindslaver him again and Ad Nauseum his entire life total again.

Round 2 vs Tarmo-Twin
    Game 1 was a very long grindfest with only one turn where I let my guard down, but that required him having Cryptic Command plus a land in hand. After the match was over it didn't seem like he had any Cryptics at all anyway since he never cast any.
    Game 2 was relatively easier, since I was able to Spell Snare his only real threat in Tarmogoyf and was able to Remand his Pestermite multiple times before Sundering Titan annihilated his mana base.

Round 3 vs Living End
    Game 1 he plays 3 Fulminator Mages... Onto game 2!
    Game 2 he never sees any Fulminator Mages or Avalanche Riders. He ended up drawing some number of Living Ends. I remanded the first one he cast, and after the second cascade revealed his entire deck I decided to see if he was playing Simian Spirit Guides by Condescending for 4. He didn't use them so that meant he at least had less than 4 in his list; The only place they could be at this point were his hand. A Mindslaver lock ended this game quite quickly.
    Game 3 I was able to land a turn 1 Relic of Progenitus then a turn 6 Sundering Titan destroying 4 of his lands, including a Dryad Arbor which felt pretty awesome. I cracked my Relic I had in play and drew another. It was already essentially game over at this point anyway and it was a simple 3 turn win from there.

Round 4 vs G/B Rock
    Game 1 was another grindfest. He has Dark Confidants going for most of the game but they weren't picking up much relevant stuff. He was definitely lacking in removal this game since he was chumping Wurmcoil with Scavenging Oozes. Eventually I landed an O-Stone and eventually cracked it. In response, though, he Slaughter Pacted my Wurmcoil so I had nothing left. At this point he's at 5 life, and I topdeck Platinum Angel. I have no reason not to play it since I know the only card in his hand at this point is a Goyf. He concedes when I play it, which didn't seem right but I was ok with it.
    Game 2 was awkward since he ended up Abrupt Decaying 2 Talismans and my O-Stone. Fulimator Mage also put in some serious work in f****** up my mana and I died to the joined efforts of Dark Confidant, Goyf and Liliana.
    Game 3 the awkwardness shifter, since I'd kept a hand that Abrupt Decay did nothing against, and he drew multiples of it. He ended the game with 2 Abrupt Decays, a Slaughter Pact and a Putrefy in hand and complained how he had so many outs to my Mindslaver lock. I wanted to tell him that he can't complain if he leaves in dead cards but I just made him sign the match slip and I got up as soon as possible. I'm not sure if he was really being confrontational or anything, but it was clear english wasn't his first language so it probably just came across moreso in the somewhat broken english he was speaking.

Round 5 vs Jund
    This was a lot worse than playing against the Rock deck the round before. For starters, he drew his maindeck Fulminator Mages... and that's all I have to say about game 1. Well, it's almost all I have to say. I ended up drawing decently, almost getting out of the game alive. It was at the point, though, where he was at 4 with a Dark Confidant in play, it does turn out he had a maindeck Chandra so there was a chance, but it flipped a Scooze and I died.
    Game 2 was just a quick Thrun and me having mana issues due to a mulligan to 5 and getting Thoughtseized. Yay Magic!

Round 6 vs G/B Rock
    Game 1 wasn't even close. My mana decided to shit itself somewhat at this point. Him having a Tec Edge really didn't help since it put me off Tron mana, and then I flooded out on colourless lands.
    Game 2 was a mull to 5 then Thoughtseized game. However, I drew very well and was able to Tron out a Sundering Titan on turn 4. He was able to engineer a position where he had a Finks and Thrun in play, though, and had already dealt a fair amount of damage to me. Eventually I'm at 3 and he has a Thrun and a Treetop Village as his only potential attackers. My hand is a Squelch and a Spell Snare. If he had something like Victim of Night, at this point, I get a free turn. If he makes the obvious on-board play of animating the Treetop I get to Squelch it (and I had Wurmcoil on top, I later found out, but that's irrelevant) but he drew Putrefy for the turn and my chance at top 8 contention was gone.

Round 7 vs UWR Control
    Game 1 got scarily close at one point. If he'd been more aggressive with his Collonade it was definitely his game to win, but he played the game sensibly and didn't want to tap out against an opponent with Tron mana. However, I was able to assemble the Slaver lock and in response to it he was only able to get me down to 3.
    Game 2 was a losing game for me early on, since he Mindcensored a Map that proceeded to make my mana awkward for a little while. Later into the game I Treasure Mage and go to search for Sundering Titan, both of us forgetting about the Mindcensor. A friend of mine who was watching stopped the game and called for a judge, which I was fine with since I knew I'd broken the rules by mistake. We got the ruling sorted out in a decent amount of time. Both me and my opponent got a warning and I was made to shuffle the Titan back and check the top 4 properly. I will say the worst part about this was that the first time round the Titan was actually the top card of my deck anyway then the second time I missed. I lost from there because I only drew counters or lands and he never cast another spell.
    Game 3 was over rather quickly since a turn 5 Sundering Titan with counter backup is pretty good.

Round 8 vs Esper Gifts
    Game 1 was very interesting to say the least. He gets some early aggro with Lingering Souls and eventually has me at a super low life total while he also has a Tar Pit in play. I play a Wurmcoil which promptly gets Path'd and I take a hit down to 4. The Wurmcoil was used as a bait, however, since my next turn I slammed down Platinum Angel. I ended up going down to -9, and with a Batterskull on my Angel went back to -1. Eventually he casts Gifts, which I immediately Remand. Unfortunately, I couldn't find another counter and the next turn he Gifts for Snapcaster, Doom Blade and Path to Exile. If I'd held the Remand I could leave him with just Snapcaster plus whatever 4th card he theoretically could have gotten, but I didn't know what his removal suite was so it made more sense to dig for a hard counter.
    Game 2 involved Sundering Titan destroying a lot of lands very quickly and my opponent conceding even faster.
    Game 3 was a mulligan into oblivion into a Thoughtseize. I will point out his 2 Thoughtseize deck Thoughtseized me turn 1 every game with an untapped black source that cost no life. (Urborg, Snow-Covered Swamp, Swamp, in that order, to be precise.) But I stood no chance at all that game.

Round 9 vs Burn
    He played Shrine of Burning Rage. I played Repeals and then Mindslavered him to make him discard 2 burn spells, essentially, then locked him soon after.
    Game 2 was very similar, this time with 2 Shrines of Burning Rage and I added a Spell Snare and a Spell Burst to the cards I drew to beat them efficiently.

Overall, 6-3, won 8 packs, which seemed dumb since my friend on 6-1-2 (2 points above me) got 14 packs. I also pulled jank from the packs so it felt a little like a wasted day. However, I had a ton of fun throughout the day and my opponents were generally great to talk to.

Highs:
    -Sundering Titan is the best creature in magic
    -Every round my opponent gave a weird look to the turn 1 Tron land without fail
    -Spell Snare was a fantastic last minute addition to the sideboard and won me games no other spell could have
    -Avoided the multitude of Affinity all day long
    -All of my opponents except one were a blast to talk to

Lows:
    -Never having time to get food
    -Not even top 8'ing
    -A room full of 309 participants meant the tables felt super cramped
    -Only on table 1 for 1 round
    -All 9 opponents commented on how my name doesn't fit on the pairings sheet
    -No air conditioning on one of the hottest days of the year

More lows, but most of them are insignificant compared to most of the highs.

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:47 am