Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

[Standard] Simic Monsters

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[Standard] Simic Monsters Empty [Standard] Simic Monsters

Post by Ashiok Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:48 am

Creatures:
    4 Elvish Mystic
    4 Sylvan Caryatid
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Boon Satyr
    4 Courser of Kruphix
    4 Polukranos, World Eater
    3 Prime Speaker Zegana

Planeswalkers:
    3 Jace, Architect of Thought
    2 Kiora, the Crashing Wave

Instants:
    2 Cyclonic Rift
    2 Simic Charm

Enchantment/Artifacts:
    1 Bow of Nylea

Lands:
    4 Temple of Mystery
    4 Breeding Pool
    2 Temple of Enlightenment
    10 Forest
    5 Island

Sideboard:
    2 Gainsay
    2 Arbor Colossus
    2 Master of Waves
    4 Mistcutter Hydra
    1 Primeval Bounty
    2 Tidebinder Mage
    2 Pithing Needle

So, everyone now agrees that monsters is a top tier deck. From what I've understood, the games that it loses are because of either tempo plays or them running out of threats, and GU seems to alleviate that perfectly. While, yes, going GU forgoes removal in the form of Domri and Mortars, the deck gains what I think is still by far one of the strongest creatures in standard in Zegana, along with Kiora and a very powerful array of sideboard cards, especially ones that are powerful in the mirror match like Tidebinder Mage. It should also be noted that both Planeswalkers can draw cards 100% of the time when necessary, as opposed to Domri's horrible ability to miss, and Xenagos doesn't even do more than run out 2/2s all game most of the time. Losing Stormbreath is essentially alleviated by a much more readily available onslaught of threats due to the draw power, while being a better deck in the creature matchups. Notably Scavenging Ooze gets worse in a deck with fewer manners of creature removal, but creatures still die so it's good to have some lifegain and a threat that scales.

I'm actually considering building this irl, since I'm getting kinda bored of the samey-ness of every game Sphinx's Revelation is involved in, even though I do still think U/W control is the best deck in standard right now.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

[Standard] Simic Monsters Empty Re: [Standard] Simic Monsters

Post by Rodrigo Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:11 am

This deck is sweet. But why the 2 white temples? Is the Scry really that needed?
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Post by Ashiok Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:14 am

Yeah they're purely there to be the 5th and 6th Scryland while not helping Mono Black cast anything.

Scrying is very easily underrated; Given the number of mana sources in the deck scrying on random lands is invaluable. If it didn't make the mana base just a little too awkward I'd play even more temples, but only 6 CIPT lands is absolutely fine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:49 am