Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

'Arkhos' Creative | 'Arkhos' Block

.Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

'Arkhos' Creative | 'Arkhos' Block Empty 'Arkhos' Creative | 'Arkhos' Block

Post by .Rai Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:39 pm

'Arkhos' Creative | 'Arkhos' Block 15qvguo

This thread is for all of the world-building, flavour-texting, plot-planning and general creative process for Arkhos.

Humans: Due to their insular nature, the strongholds across Arkhos hold the majority of human (aka, red/white) civilization. The largest and most centralized of these strongholds, Dagorran, is considered the center of Arkhos' compass by all races as a point of convenience. It is a destination for not only standard citizens, but also traders from all races. Dagorran's marketplaces and libraries alike are sources of information about anything and everything on the plane. It is considered the repository of Arkhos' lore and history, and if the world ever ends up overrun by an external force, Dagorran would be the failsafe of culture.

Giants: For the most part nomadic, giants are very family-oriented. Both highly intelligent and casually vicious, they are driven by a genetic impluse to codify. Unlike humans, who just want to collect hap-hazardously, giants tend to want to figure out the inherent madness of Arkhos' dreamy environs.

Feel free to join the conversation at any time. At the moment, the world of Arkhos needs to be defined. Rinne has helped define both humans and giants, and the only official location on Arkhos at the moment is Lethe Lake. Note that we already have five tribes: Humans, Giants, Merfolk, Fungus (both the Ghave-style and Thallid-style), and Spirits (assorted nymphs and daemons; not traditional flying ones).
    Kira
    Kira
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 6

'Arkhos' Creative | 'Arkhos' Block Empty Re: 'Arkhos' Creative | 'Arkhos' Block

Post by Kira Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:50 am

Your flyers can be Griffin type I'd think. And your humans should be stronger than the norm since the humans beat the monsters in all mythos. More later as I am currently on break at work.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:17 pm

The flavour there is a bit different, from what's already established. Humans being stronger would throw off the five-tribe system. At the moment, it's gentle tension between the five tribes, and mostly all of them essentially trying to explore and survive in Arkhos, which is naturally much bigger.

Humans beat the monsters in myth when the humans are heroes, anyway. Considering the majority of humans here are citizens in big-a** camps/cities, it doesn't work as well. But the nature of Greek mythology means that we can push more legendary creatures, especially at Rare.

Griffins were generally a definite for white flyers here. I had a quick draft of possible types in the block:

Type Draft:

Essentially taking every single applicable type in a Greek mythology world. Currently, there's no 'small red race', but I'd personally like to return Imps and reflavour them as red-aligned nature spirits or something. Spirits essentially exist in three forms: nymphs, occasional human spirits (the more traditional ones), and 'daemons' which are essentially nymphs but are reflavoured here to be mischievous and malevolent spirits for the Black section of Spirits.

Also, dragons and wurms co-exist here. Wurms are what you'd consider the quintessential Greek dragon: wingless, and big and lizard-y. I would personally have normal winged dragons in Arkhos, because it's a Magic staple.
    Capricorn El Cid
    Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

Post by Capricorn El Cid Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:44 pm

One word for a returning Mechanic...CHAMPION
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:08 pm

-Griselbrand- wrote:One word for a returning Mechanic...CHAMPION

The flavour for the epic heroes of Greek myth, by far, fit more within just the mechanical theme of more Legendaries.

Besides, we're reusing Flashback :3
    Kira
    Kira
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 6

Post by Kira Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:01 pm

What, exactly, are you still looking for here? Might help so I can help a bit more.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Filling in potential locations, the 'feel' of Arkhos, and overall worldbuilding. Important detail that I've failed to mention is that Arkhos is in a state of perpetual twilight (although you can find that out on Arkhos' MtGSalvation Wiki page). I might as well kick things off by filling in the natural landscape, then populate it with settlements later:

- Considering we have Lethe Lake, do we expect Arkhos to be fairly dense with magical rivers? Especially since you can abuse the whole 'Rivers of the Underworld' feel.
    - How mountainous do you expect a plane full of monsters to be? Or generally how hostile?
    - Temperature? Yes, this is a legitimate question. Innistrad was incredibly cold, so everyone could wear big military clothing, and vampires could flaunt their bodies in a passionate manner because they didn't care about the cold.
    - Forest regions? Considering we have Fungus, do we want big-a** forests made of fungus, or populate forests with Fungus along with plants?
    Capricorn El Cid
    Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

Post by Capricorn El Cid Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:06 am

What is the flavour of Flashback here anyways?

It doesn't seem to feet the Concept of Greek Mythology at all...
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:14 am

-Griselbrand- wrote:What is the flavour of Flashback here anyways?

It doesn't seem to feet the Concept of Greek Mythology at all...

Flashback is partially mechanical here: it has the largest amount of design space, and is one of the simple ways of pushing the 'casting matters' in the set.

Flashback adjusts with flavour. Of flashback cards I have at the moment, one is a reference to spirits pouring out of the ground, I'm sure I can fit prophecy references into places, and there is a giant lake on Arkhos that literally gives you amnesia. The other thing is that Arkhos is supposed to have lingering bits of mana in the air essentially, which is how the mechanic Reverb works. Have flashbacks of past spells? Past quests? Past encounters with scary-a** monsters?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:36 am