Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Sylvan Library

Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 3

Sylvan Library Empty Sylvan Library

Post by Pack Rat Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:21 pm

Sylvan Library

So, what do you guys think of it? Granted anyone here plays Legacy that is.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Sylvan Library Empty Re: Sylvan Library

Post by Ashiok Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm

Don't play legacy and don't care for it at all so I can only speak of it from an EDH point of view.

The extra draw does seem useful in EDH, but the life cost is just a little too high for each card you keep, and if you don't keep then you get to see less cards than you could possibly see by the next turn. As someone that prefers going into Black in commander colours, I'll always be using tutors, Phyrexian Arena and big draw spells before this, but even in Green I haven't seen a huge use for it. I'd rather run JTMS if I want to see that many cards a turn, or just make sure all my cards have inherent value. I guess when you put a life cost at 4 that will add up fast, it just turns me off the card. Might just be that I'm still pretty new to the game though.
    Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Pack Rat Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, it is worth it. Normally, you just get to dig 3 cards deep (hi Ponder!) and with shuffle effects, you get nice manipulation. And the cost, ESPECIALLY in EDH barely does anything to you.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:37 pm

10% of your life per card is a lot in a format where there are multiple opponents that will want to target you because of this card. Again, might just be the fact that I haven't even been playing for 2 months that I think the life loss is just too much.
    Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Pack Rat Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 pm

You're really gonna use the effect like 2-3 times a game really. Even without the extra draw, reusable digging is good enough.

From Legacy standpoint, it sees much less play than it should. Enchantress, RUG...
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Im thinking of getting into Legacy, I just have no idea where to start.

I used it in EDH and I think I used it wrong. I payed too much life too fast and lost. but just using it to view the top 2 every turn would also be good. Save the actuall draw for when you need it.

Last edited by Jordan, Lich Lord on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Pack Rat Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Just netdeck something for starters. If you are playing EDH, you should be familiar with the card pool.
    HSektor
    HSektor
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 16

Post by HSektor Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:41 pm

In EDH, a Brainstorm every turn is kinda interesting (because you shouldn't pay unless it's REALLY necessary).

In Legacy, it's underrated, but shouldn't be play up to 2 per deck.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Post by .Rai Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:13 pm

Taylor wrote:10% of your life per card is a lot in a format where there are multiple opponents that will want to target you because of this card. Again, might just be the fact that I haven't even been playing for 2 months that I think the life loss is just too much.

Life loss is so irrelevant in EDH though. The only thing that matters is that commander damage, and if you can get it in first, you are set.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Tuck effects and removal are so prevalent, that thinking that you'll ever really win off of Commander damage seems stupid, and very far-fetched. As I said, 10% is a lot, per card, in a game where multiple players will target you for having this card out. And any quick slew of good cards can easily drop a player by half their life or more in one swing, life isn't that abundant, it's only 40, not 400.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:19 pm