Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints

.Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Empty [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints

Post by .Rai Fri May 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Soul's Grace [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Mana1[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Manaw
    Instant [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints 2r6i7gz
    You gain life equal to target creature's power.
    ""Only the true in heart gain the grace in the journey of life."
    - Emperor Fild

Call to Heel [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Mana1[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Manau
    Instant [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints 2r6i7gz
    Return target creature to its owner's hand. Its controller draws 1 card.
    The elves of Venlan take loyalty as the greatest honour. The call of battle comes imminent at any time.

Blister Beetle [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Mana1[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Manab
    Creature - Insect [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints 2r6i7gz
    When Blister Beetle enters the battlefield, target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.
    Don't scratch.
    [1/1]

They are reprints in Reyne, all from Shards of Alara. Soul's Grace and Blister Beetle are both here as ways to show the +1/+1 counter theme. Blister Beetle is typical of Black in this set, finding ways to counter +1/+1 counters slightly. Soul's Grace is a great Common to basically gain large amounts of life in W/G. Call to Heel is a slightly more random reprint apart from the fact I can reprint 3 1X-mana cards, with X being a colour mana. Call to Heel does help with White's minor ETB effects.

Complete with new flavour text.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Empty Re: [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints

Post by Rodrigo Fri May 25, 2012 7:55 pm

I like your choices.

Soul's Grace goes amazingly well with the theme on +1/+1 counters. You're likely to gain at least 5 life from it most of the time. Although I'm not too much of a fan of life-gaining cards that don't do anything else, especially ones that depend on having a powerful creature in play. But flavor wise and placement wise, it is perfect.

Call to Heel is also pretty good flavor wise, although not as much as the other two. It can serve as a minor board clearer for a final blow, or as a good way of gaining another Enter the Battlefield effect while saving your creature from removal, and netting you a draw. Kinda reminds me of Gemini Spark.

Blister Beetle is a fine choice, though he isn't really that good. Flavor wise it is great, because it nulls a single counter, but unless you're pushing for game or your opponent have weak creatures in play, it isn't useful at all. Not to mention you can't cast it when it'll be the only creature you have, lol.
    Capricorn El Cid
    Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

[MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints Empty Re: [MtG] RSD4: White, Blue and Black Reprints

Post by Capricorn El Cid Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Note that the Beetle does nothing to counters...

getting -1/-1 until the End of Turn =/= getting a -1/-1 counter

which is what actually neutralize +1/+1s
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Post by .Rai Fri May 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Roddy, Planeswalker wrote:I like your choices.

Soul's Grace goes amazingly well with the theme on +1/+1 counters. You're likely to gain at least 5 life from it most of the time. Although I'm not too much of a fan of life-gaining cards that don't do anything else, especially ones that depend on having a powerful creature in play. But flavor wise and placement wise, it is perfect.

Call to Heel is also pretty good flavor wise, although not as much as the other two. It can serve as a minor board clearer for a final blow, or as a good way of gaining another Enter the Battlefield effect while saving your creature from removal, and netting you a draw. Kinda reminds me of Gemini Spark.

Blister Beetle is a fine choice, though he isn't really that good. Flavor wise it is great, because it nulls a single counter, but unless you're pushing for game or your opponent have weak creatures in play, it isn't useful at all. Not to mention you can't cast it when it'll be the only creature you have, lol.

I did like Soul's Grace a lot. A lot of Naya cards are really fun to use with +1/+1 counters.

Now I think about it, Call to Heel does actually feel like a Gemini Spark.

I do wish Blister Beetle had Flying. It would probably make it like a billion times better in draft. Still, it's fine to have a few weak cards at Common and it made no problems in Shards of Alara.

-Griselbrand- wrote:Note that the Beetle does nothing to counters...

getting -1/-1 until the End of Turn =/= getting a -1/-1 counter

which is what actually neutralize +1/+1s

Yeah, I know :3

I'm just pushing the -1/-1 theme as much as I can in Black because I obviously don't want both -1/-1 counters and +1/+1 counters in the same block. Even a temporary reduction is great in this sort of format against Green or White.

I might consider a lot of more small cost reducers, so Black has a solid aggro base against those previously mentioned colours.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 am