Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

[Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro)

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro) Empty [Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro)

Post by Ashiok Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 pm

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Strangleroot Geist
    4 Huntmaster of the Fells
    3 Wolfir Avenger
    2 Hellrider
    1 Zealous Conscripts
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Thundermaw Hellkite
    1 Wolfir Silverheart

3 Rancor
    2 Sword of War and Peace

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Bonfire of the Damned

9 Forest
    4 Mountain
    4 Copperline Gorge
    4 Rootbound Crag
    2 Kessig Wolf Run

Taking a break from control, I think.

Might change at least one of the Rancors for more Swords, but at the same time I don't want to because it's f****** Rancor.

Last edited by Chandra Ablaze on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

[Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro) Empty Re: [Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro)

Post by Rodrigo Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:08 pm

-2 Wolfir Avenger
    +2 Borderland Ranger

-2 Dismember
    +1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    +1 Primeval Titan

-1 Bonfire
    +1 Inkmoth Nexus

:3
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

[Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro) Empty Re: [Standard] Onslaught of the Fells (RG Aggro)

Post by .Rai Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:12 pm

The deck is awful against Delver duel 1, so you might as well run cards that are better against Green decks and the rest of the meta and side in Delver stuff.

You side Thragtusk (for Delver match-ups) and side out the Silverhearts that are bad against Delver. But the main should have 2 Silverhearts, rather than 1 of both (since Silverhearts overall have more good match-ups in the meta than Thragtusk does). I'd definitely go for more Swords rather than Dismember.

Hellrider is seriously missing. I'm not even sure whether RG Aggro wants to even hit 5 mana (they instead replace them with loads more 4-drops). Otherwise, you could just class it as RG Midrange.

But it's solid.

-1 Thragtusk
    +1 Silverheart

-2 Dismember
    +2 Sword of War and Peace

-1 Zealous Conscripts
    -1 Thundermaw Hellkite
    +2 Hellrider
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Rodrigo wrote:-2 Wolfir Avenger
    +2 Borderland Ranger

-2 Dismember
    +1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    +1 Primeval Titan

-1 Bonfire
    +1 Inkmoth Nexus

:3

With 4 Mountains, 4 Rootbounds, 4 Copperlines and 4 Birds, Borderland Ranger seems like a huge waste of space. I run 1 creature that actually requires RR, and most of the time I'm bringing it out with Green Sun if anything. Huntmaster will virtually always be live with the mana base, as will Conscripts, and I don't run any other Red cards bar Bonfire, which is in the same boat.

Bonfire's a win condition. Inkmoth and Pimeval Titan are much more suited to Wolf Run ramp. I feel like it'd be a waste of my mana to go around trying to boost Inkmoths for a kill, especially with no ramp spells.

.Rai wrote:The deck is awful against Delver duel 1, so you might as well run cards that are better against Green decks and the rest of the meta and side in Delver stuff.

You side Thragtusk (for Delver match-ups) and side out the Silverhearts that are bad against Delver. But the main should have 2 Silverhearts, rather than 1 of both (since Silverhearts overall have more good match-ups in the meta than Thragtusk does). I'd definitely go for more Swords rather than Dismember.

Hellrider is seriously missing. I'm not even sure whether RG Aggro wants to even hit 5 mana (they instead replace them with loads more 4-drops). Otherwise, you could just class it as RG Midrange.

But it's solid.

-1 Thragtusk
    +1 Silverheart

-2 Dismember
    +2 Sword of War and Peace

-1 Zealous Conscripts
    -1 Thundermaw Hellkite
    +2 Hellrider

Every RG Aggro deck I've seen recently has been running 5 drops as versatile win cons.

I don't quite see the logic of not running Thragtusk. It wins you the race against virtually everything, and if it trades you get a 3/3 out of it. I understand the idea of another Silverheart though, although I don't see it as a total necessity with 4 Green Suns, but would much rather neg a Dismember for one.

Sword at more than 2 with 3 Rancors is as high as I want to go. They're not removal and they're not creatures, which are what I really want to be using.

Don't want to neg Thundermaw because it's a win condition that's so easy to use and win with. Zealous I'm ok dropping for Hellrider.

The way I see it from there, then:

-2 Dismember
    -1 Zealous Conscripts

+1 Sword
    +2 Hellrider

Not sure what to neg if I even want the second Silverheart tbh.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

For aggressive green mirrors and other match-ups like Zombies, Silverheart is insanely explosive compared to Thragtusk. Also, when you're expecting Naya Pod and RG Aggro, the two big blocks + ability to save more of your creatures from Bonfire is probably better than Thragtusk.

The only place where Thragtusk really shines over Silverheart is against Delver (when the lifegain matters more) and you don't die to Vapor Snag.

Then again, I did completely forget about your Zeniths. I do think you should still remove Thragtusk, but never mind about adding a second Silverheart.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Well, I understand what you're saying then.

Worth negging it for the Conscripts again then, just as another finisher?
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Conscripts is a pretty good finisher (and, recently, the biggest thing they've been used for is waiting for players to ramp their planeswalkers to ultimate, then steal them).

Yeah, I think more Conscripts in the main is a good surprise.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:59 pm

-1 Thragtusk for Conscripts then

Updated OP.

Don't quite have the general idea of siding in MTG down yet, so help with that is appreciated too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 12:27 am