Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

[Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One Empty [Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One

Post by Ashiok Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Enchantments:
    2 Mogis, God of Slaughter

Planeswalkers:
    4 Jace, Architect of Thought

Sorceries:
    4 Dreadbore
    4 Divination
    2 Rakdos's Return

Instants:
    1 Quicken
    2 Bile Blight
    1 Devour Flesh
    1 Ultimate Price
    1 Doom Blade
    1 Dimir Charm
    2 Counterflux
    2 Hero's Downfall
    1 Crypt Incursion
    2 Turn // Burn
    1 Far // Away
    1 Thoughtflare
    2 Opportunity

Lands:
    4 Temple of Deceit
    4 Temple of Malice
    4 Steam Vents
    4 Blood Crypt
    4 Watery Grave
    4 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Swamp

Sideboard:
    2 Drown in Sorrow
    2 Gainsay
    2 Counterflux
    2 Slaughter Games
    2 Negate
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Jace, Memory Adept
    1 Bile Blight

Because all the awesome stuff to allow a UB splash R deck seems to have been spoiled. The removal suite is the way it is because I really like having as diverse an array of removal as possible. I believe I've also explained my love of Mogis before in how it's basically a one-sided Sulfuric Vortex in a deck with a lot of removal. He's also another way of dealing with Planeswalkers, though that's rarely going to be the case in a deck where 6 spells outright say destroy a Planeswalker. Since UW based control is easily the worst matchup for the deck, the Counterfluxes in the main are a nod to AEtherling and Elixir. Crypt Incursion is just a manner of gaining life since the deck has no actual recovery and there's the chance that Mogis is used by other decks, which seems pretty scary against a deck with no way to put creatures on the board or to gain life.

The mana base allows for 17 black sources, 16 blue sources and 13 red sources. The Black sources are for the Bile Blights, mostly, since it's important to cast it turn 2 a lot of the time. The deck can easily function with only 1 red source, and 13 gives very high odds of having one red source early on. It is very possible I should go to just 12 for another basic Island, but I don't want too many lands that don't at all contribute to removal.

It's also possible that some Underworld Connections could be in the side, but due to the fact that I'm playing Blue and plenty of the SB cards are already really good vs control I don't feel like UC is worth playing.

This is still definitely a rough draft, though, so any possible changes would be appreciated.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

[Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One Empty Re: [Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One

Post by .Rai Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:50 pm

It seems off playing Mogis with literally 0 intent of turning him at all. If you're looking for lifegain, maining Pharika's Cure isn't bad, especially against mono-Blue.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One Empty Re: [Post-BNG Standard] Grixis Control Version One

Post by Ashiok Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:59 pm

What about playing Mogis seems off? It gives the deck a win condition in can tap out for early that kills an opponent in 10 or fewer turns.

Pharika's Cure isn't the sort of life gain I'm really after in this. The weakness I see for this that U/W(/B) doesn't share is that they can Rev for a bunch of life. 2 Life isn't very useful in the grand scheme of things and requires a rather poor removal spell with no other upside to it (if you look at my decklist you'll see zero removal spells that are ever dead against any deck with creatures in them). The only reason I'm running Crypt Incursion is to keep out of burn range (or just make aggro concede when it resolves upwards of 12 life) and to "counter" Scavenging Ooze.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:52 am