Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dresden Files

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

The Dresden Files Empty The Dresden Files

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 am

The Dresden Files Dresdentvtimage_7908
    Just another day at the office.

"My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book."
    Harry Dresden

A horror/fantasy/mystery series of novels, fourteen and counting plus associated short stories and comic miniseries and the like, by Jim Butcher. Harry Dresden is a wizard and private detective operating out of modern day Chicago, and reluctantly hired by a special police task force as a consultant on supernatural crimes. A cross between urban gothic fantasy and Film Noir, the Genre Savvy main character cracks jokes about the various tropes it uses. Adapted into a drama series on the Sci Fi Channel. There's also a tabletop RPG, which is much more faithful to the books, as it's written from the characters' perspective.

Harry meets a wide variety of characters in the series, including Karrin Murphy, the Action Girl cop who's aware of the city's supernatural underworld; Bob, a spirit of intellect who lives in a skull — human-shaped ghost in the television series — is Harry's literal Magical Computer; Michael Carpenter, a modern-day paladin wielding a holy sword; Billy the Werewolf and his pack of Alphas (a group of young heroic wannabes); Thomas Raith, the Loveable Rogue incubus White Court vampire; Harry's on-and-off love interest Susan Rodriguez; and Molly Carpenter, Michael's oldest daughter and Harry's apprentice. Like many detective stories, Harry meets a ridiculous number of femmes fatales, crime bosses, and hired goons, which is frequently lampshaded in the series.

There are currently 14 novels in the series:

1. Storm Front (2000)
    2. Fool Moon (2001)
    3. Grave Peril (2001)
    4. Summer Knight (2002)
    5. Death Masks (2003)
    6. Blood Rites (2004)
    7. Dead Beat (2006)
    8. Proven Guilty (2007)
    9. White Night (2007)
    10. Small Favor (2008)
    11. Turn Coat (2009)
    12. Changes (2010)
    13. Ghost Story (2011)
    14. Cold Days (2012)
    15. Skin Game (TBD)

Having just read Storm Front I have to say, I really love this series so far Smile An Urban Fantasy with Mystery and Noir elements? Awesome.

The fact that it's in 1st person is something you don't see a lot, and let's us learn more about the Main Character then usual.

Apparently the first 3 books were written very formulaic way. Which you can see but it doesn't make them any less fun to read, and they apparently get less formulaic as it goes on.