Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

The Silmarillion

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

The Silmarillion Empty The Silmarillion

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 pm

The Silmarillion is J. R. R. Tolkien's book of the history of Middle-earth, from the creation of the universe to the end of the Third Age. It was posthumously edited by his son Christopher and published in 1977, though Tolkien had been working on it for most of his life. Originally, The Silmarillion was Tolkien's attempt to make a purely "English" mythology based on Welsh, Saxon, Finnish, and Norse sources. What it eventually became was a "Pan-European" constructed world, growing ever more intricate and detailed through the decades Tolkien worked on it.
    The book is subdivided into:

• Ainulindalë (the Music of the Ainur): Eru Ilúvatar, the omnipotent and omniscient (i.e. biblical) God* his names in Elvish mean "the One, the All-father", inspires and directs the Ainur (angels) to sing a "Great Music", through which the universe is created, and history itself playing out as a manifestation of its meanings.
    • Valaquenta (the Account of the Valar): a description of each of the Valar (Ainur who have chosen to enter the physical universe and serve as Eru's regents therein) and some of the Maiar, their servants.
    • Quenta Silmarillion (the History of the Silmarilli): recounts the creation of Middle-earth by the Valar; the creation of the Elves, Dwarves, and Men; the first war between the Valar and Melkor; and the six-hundred year long war between the Elves and Melkor (with Men and Dwarves caught squarely in the middle) over the eponymous Silmarils.

• The chapter "Of Túrin Turambar" is further elaborated in the book The Children Of Hurin (named Narn i-Chîn Húrin in Grey Elven)
      </li>
    • Akallabêth (The Downfall of Númenórë): The isle of Númenórë is given to Men who fought in the war against Melkor as a reward by the Valar. Over the centuries, the Númenórëans grow proud. All culminates in the reign of Ar-Pharazôn, who, driven by his fear of death and the lies of Sauron, dares to invade the land of the Valar. As a punishment, Númenórë is destroyed and sinks into the Sea.
    • Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age: Details the backstory to The Lord of the Rings; fleshes out the Gambit Pile Up of Sauron and Gandalf

Because one of my teachers let me borrow his First Edition of the book I thought I would talk about it Smile
    So far it's pretty good, the idea of knowing the history of this world that Tolkien has created intrigued me greatly..
    HiveNet
    HiveNet
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 7

The Silmarillion Empty Re: The Silmarillion

Post by HiveNet Wed May 08, 2013 3:06 pm

You only read it if you are a huge fan of Tolkien. Because it's so heavy to read, that it's hard to get into.

The background information is lovely though, espicially the detail he puts into it like the rest of Middle Earth.
    Halu Inferno
    Halu Inferno
    Members
    Members

Rep : 0

Post by Halu Inferno Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Needs a friggin movie.

Like seriously. Everyone who watches the movie thinks Sauron is like the most powerful and evil thing in there, but if they met Morgoth. Oh God...
    Illyarcher
    Illyarcher
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 5

Post by Illyarcher Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:15 am

^This

"And then... Morgoth came..."

Still gives me chills reading it.

Sponsored content