Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Rodrigo
Ashiok
Shard
Johnny
HSektor
Red W Mage
Welche
11 posters

YCS Toronto [AKA YUGIOH!!!!]

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

YCS Toronto [AKA YUGIOH!!!!] - Page 2 Empty Re: YCS Toronto [AKA YUGIOH!!!!]

Post by Ashiok Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:20 pm

You guys are less observant than I am, gosh
    Aggro
    Aggro
    Members
    Members

Rep : 5

Post by Aggro Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:51 pm

I would clap for you all, but I'm afraid you'd confuse it for actual applause...

Anyway, I don't know if Rabbit will be able to consistently top as much as it did last format, we'll probably see a few get in every YCS though. Wind-Ups and HEROs will probably be on top a lot as so many people are going to be playing them, and I don't think that the TeleGrand topping was a fluke. I think it will do well.
    +Ash
    +Ash
    Members
    Members

Rep : 1

Post by +Ash Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:12 am

"TeleGrand" is a fluke. By Jeff Jones' own words a lot of games went in to time because people didn't understand what his cards did and Jones just dropped Lifetrancer and rode it to the win.

It got to where it was by being a rogue deck (although piloted by a proven player) that no-one knew about and I don't think other good players would take it to a YCS when Wind-Ups and most other tier decks are just better.

I think we'll experience the same thing with Geargia's as what happened with Karakuri - they have the bad fortune of having a ton of cards designed to kill them. They'll certainly get some success, they are a strong deck type - I think they'll hit Top 32 a few times, but I wouldn't expect anything more.

Wind-Ups will definitely remain the deck to beat for a while until the next big thing comes around though admittedy I don't keep as close an eye on upcoming decks than I should. They'll be followed by Heros and Dark Worlds (Card Destruction still being a card is pretty much the only reason though).

I'm not convinced on Dino Rabbit, I've yet to see enough of them to gauge how much losing a Rabbit and TGU hurt, but they can still open the nuts enough times for them to be a contender.

/imo
    Welche
    Welche
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 8

Post by Welche Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 am

I do agree with the TeleGrand though we will probably see it top more based on sheer play count, much like with TGs. They preformed well at nats because Horn was a nonethreat going into the event.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:13 pm

Saying DWs are only relevant because of Card Destruction is one of the single dumbest things I've ever heard.

And Heroes won't be good in a game where every other deck is going +1 each turn, where they only go +0 every turn. They'll burn out before their opponent does.

Psychics will likely be fine as a tier 2 deck, thanks to Gransoil and 3 E-Tele.

idk why people discredit Geargias. Yeah, cards can be sided against them but that can be said for literally every deck, and at a point where CyDra would kill them... they've already killed you.

Wind-Ups are gonna be the best deck though, idk about Atlanteans when we get them.
    +Ash
    +Ash
    Members
    Members

Rep : 1

Post by +Ash Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm

DW/Card Destruction is relevant since almost every competitive version of the deck is designed to turbo into it and win with it. If it doesn't get hold Card Destruction they're pushed into recycling Grapha. Not saying that's not a win condition in itself, but it's one that your opponent can play against much easier.

Heros still have the consistency to perform, and Miracle Fusion is just one of the best power cards around. They'll continue to top but I can't see them winning a YCS, because as you said, other Decks can just generate advantage better and make pushes at the drop of a hat.

On the subject of Heros, since I'd wager you probably know more about the decktype than I do, would you say the emergence of Bubble Beat variants make them any more competitive? Because I honestly know little about them aside from how they run and match-ups from other opinions and basic observation.

Psychics were already around Tier 2 (not that I ever paid much attention to them) I think. E-Tele at 3 is probably the best thing they could have asked for and they'll get some players, but I don't think they'll have the mass player base Welche stated. If they had won the final, maybe, but I think it'll be a situation where people will try the deck themselves before inevitably moving on to something else. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar deck in another large tournament. I would however be surprised if I see one in another top cut.

I'm not trying to discredit Geargia, they are a strong deck and the players at Toronto proved it. They have a lot of potential, but even in a tournament in which they were something of an unknown quantity, they still ended up unable to make it all the way. Like I said, they'll top. I'm pretty sure of that. It's just that other decks can do nuttier things and most likely side in better cards against them.

Well we can agree on Wind-Ups at least.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:34 pm

+Ash wrote:DW/Card Destruction is relevant since almost every competitive version of the deck is designed to turbo into it and win with it. If it doesn't get hold Card Destruction they're pushed into recycling Grapha. Not saying that's not a win condition in itself, but it's one that your opponent can play against much easier.

Trust me, recurring Grapha infinitely is strong enough that Card Des actually becomes weaker as the game goes on. The deck turbos into Graphas and not Card Destruction, it's just an extra win condition, nothing necessary and the deck would be perfectly fine without it.

Heros still have the consistency to perform, and Miracle Fusion is just one of the best power cards around. They'll continue to top but I can't see them winning a YCS, because as you said, other Decks can just generate advantage better and make pushes at the drop of a hat.

On the subject of Heros, since I'd wager you probably know more about the decktype than I do, would you say the emergence of Bubble Beat variants make them any more competitive? Because I honestly know little about them aside from how they run and match-ups from other opinions and basic observation.

I can see them topping at best say 1 or 2 of them in a top 32, then depending on the pilots maybe getting through to top 16 or 8. 1 card isn't good enough to push them into winning anything, especially when their boss has no recursion or protection, and can't immediately impact the board state.

Bubblebeat was fine last format, it'll be worse now with only 2 E-Calls and 2 Duality.

Psychics were already around Tier 2 (not that I ever paid much attention to them) I think. E-Tele at 3 is probably the best thing they could have asked for and they'll get some players, but I don't think they'll have the mass player base Welche stated. If they had won the final, maybe, but I think it'll be a situation where people will try the deck themselves before inevitably moving on to something else. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar deck in another large tournament. I would however be surprised if I see one in another top cut.

Psychics were never tier 2, they are now thanks to 3 E-Tele and Grandsoil, they never had both beforehand. They take a skilled pilot that knows the deck and its interactions perfectly though.

I'm not trying to discredit Geargia, they are a strong deck and the players at Toronto proved it. They have a lot of potential, but even in a tournament in which they were something of an unknown quantity, they still ended up unable to make it all the way. Like I said, they'll top. I'm pretty sure of that. It's just that other decks can do nuttier things and most likely side in better cards against them.

Is top 4 (or 2, idr) suddenly not a good performance? A deck doesn't have to win to be a relevant deck, and Geargias can play multiple angles, from control to aggro, either way being the most explosive deck in the format.
    Aggro
    Aggro
    Members
    Members

Rep : 5

Post by Aggro Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:46 pm

Wait, Stratos doesn't plus?

I mean, Bubblebeat doesn't really care about other decks that plus every turn if it's going to go for OTKs half the time.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Aggro wrote:Wait, Stratos doesn't plus?

I mean, Bubblebeat doesn't really care about other decks that plus every turn if it's going to go for OTKs half the time.

Wait, every other card in the deck is a +0 in a format of +1s?

Yeah, and it's never been more apparent how 2 E-Calls and 2 Duality really hinder its consistency.
    Volt
    Volt
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Rep : 4

Post by Volt Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Im more curious to know how Agents and LSS will fare. If anyone wants to give me a run-down.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:09 am