Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Return of the "Supernova Remnants"!

Stan Alda
    Stan Alda
    Members
    Members

Rep : 0

Return of the "Supernova Remnants"! Empty Return of the "Supernova Remnants"!

Post by Stan Alda Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 pm

It's been more than a year since I last posted these cards anywhere (they're so old, my previous persona was the one that created them!). Even with their updated effects (they're Rituals now) and prettier pics, can these latterly old cards survive in the age of Xyzs?
    I'm fascinated by the concepts of stellar remnants: the...things that remain after a star collapses. The reason I said "things" is that stellar remnants are just plain weird. White dwarfs are simply compacted stars, but stars entirely made of neutrons, or even quarks? Black holes? Starquakes? Scary stuff. So, it's only natural to apply dense astrophysics to childrens' card games!

Hence the "Supernova Remnant" set/archetype. This very small set is composed of various asterisms (star-like objects) that form in the wake of a dying star. All of the "Supernova Remnants" cannot be removed from the field by any battle or effects (except, in the case of White Dwarf, its own), take no damage from battle, but can't attack...at least, not under normal conditions.

PROS
    Strong wall/lockdown
    Small number of cards in the set makes them manageable
    Virtually impossible to remove from the field
    CONS:
    Weak offense
    Most cards' effects require opponent to attack them (unless you use "Starquake")
    Virtually impossible to remove from the field when you're done with them
    Effects don't quite jive with traditional Psychic strategy
    Even with ATK/DEF, negation cards are a major weakness

SUGGESTED STRATEGY:
    Since they negate attacks made against them, these can effectively render a traditional beatdown impossible. But despite the small number of cards, their effects are almost purely defensive. Their ATK/DEF is almost cursory, and is only meant to give them some defense against their greatest weakness--effect-negating cards. With the exception of "Neutron Pulsar", they have no directly offensive effects, so make sure to have some sort of strong offense to supplement them. In addition, they are all Psychic monsters, so Psychic support is a must. All but "Quark Star" are Ritual Monsters, so obviously Ritual Support is also necessary.

SUGGESTED COUNTERS:
    The best way to counter the "Supernova Remnants" is to from being summoned in the first place. "Monster Supernova" is just an ordinary Ritual Spell card, so any anti-Spell will work.
    Of course, if your opponent already has one on the field, you'll have a bit of a poser. Aside from the included anti card "Hawking Radiation", they cannot be removed from the field by conventional means. Therefore, you'll need to work around their powerful defensive effects. Negation cards like "Skill Drain" are the best way to do it, but unlike the previous version, these things have some ATK and DEF (previously, they had 0 ATK/DEF), so they're not completely defenseless. If you don't have any negation cards (which you probably will given the current meta), prepare for a long and grueling duel...

Main Cards:

Support/Anti:

Last edited by Stan Alda on Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Lots and lots of updates!)
    Stan Alda
    Stan Alda
    Members
    Members

Return of the "Supernova Remnants"! Empty Re: Return of the "Supernova Remnants"!

Post by Stan Alda Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:12 pm

I made some major updates to this archetype. They're now Ritual monsters, expanding their support possibilities and making them far easier to summon. They now have actual ATK and DEF--though not much, especially for their level--so they're not completely helpless against "Skill Drain". Finally, they have much better pics. Let the comments fly!
    Stan Alda
    Stan Alda
    Members
    Members

Return of the "Supernova Remnants"! Empty Re: Return of the "Supernova Remnants"!

Post by Stan Alda Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Is anyone interested? What am I, chopped liver?
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I'll take a look at them soon Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:36 pm