Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda)

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda) Empty Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda)

Post by Ashiok Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:10 pm

So, I have no idea how Magic deckbuilding should work, I mean I've seen a couple of decks that have topped but being me I don't like taking what the best deck is and want to run what I consider the most fun.

I'm pretty sure this is legal in modern but if I made any mistakes then I'd appreciate... well any help in general really.

Land (18):

10 Forest
    4 Taiga
    4 Karplusan Forest

Creatures (26):

4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Vengevine
    4 Fauna Shaman
    4 Giant Solifuge
    4 Regal Force
    2 Inferno Titan

Planeswalkers (2):

2 Garruk, Primal Hunter

Sorcery/Instants (14):

4 Faithless Looting
    4 Bonfire of the Damned
    2 Banefire
    4 Lightning Bolt

Not knowing the card pool you have to work with makes this all kinda confusing too, since I can't exactly learn every available Magic card any time soon.

Halp pls
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda) Empty Re: Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda)

Post by .Rai Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:34 pm

<3 Pretty decent starting out. I'll do my fixes in spoilers, and organizing like that.

Lands:

Everything Else:

tl;dr

Change your landbase to this:

4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    4 Copperline Gorge
    3 Misty Rainforest
    2 Stomping Ground
    2 Fire-Lit Thicket
    1 Arid Mesa
    1 Raging Ravine
    1 Tectonic Edge
    4 Forest
    1 Mountain

-4 Llanowar Elves
    -4 Giant Solifuge
    -4 Regal Force
    -2 Inferno Titan
    +4 Bloodbraid Elf
    +4 Boggart Ram-Gang
    +3 Lotus Cobra
    +1 Huntmaster of the Fells

-2 Garruk, Primal Hunter

-2 Bonfire of the Damned
    -2 Banefire
    +2 Vines of Vastwood
    +1 Searing Blaze
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda) Empty Re: Wanted to get into Magic (R/G Vengevine... kinda)

Post by Ashiok Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:50 pm

Jesus christ.

Thanks a ton, man. I'll definitely make all the changes.

I'm kinda curious as to why Solifuge isn't as good as I thought it would be. I mean I know it can be chump-blocked stupidly easily, but is that the only reason?

Oh and someone should like, teach me how to Cockatrice past the deck builder because that'd be amoxing.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Giant Solifuge is pretty amazing, but a couple of problems:

- At 4 mana, it's really fighting with Vengevine and Bloodbraid Elf to even make the slot. You can't really have 12 4 mana creatures without overloading your hand with massive creatures in the early game.
    - It's not as good, meta-wise. A lot of decks run lots of little creatures, instead of bigger chunky threats, so using Giant Solifuge to get rid of stuff usually doesn't work.

You could potentially put them in the side, for more aggressive decks, to basically outrun them.

Cockatrice from the beginning even though you've done some of this:

Set-Up

1. Download Cockatrice.
    2. Click on Oracle.
    3. File > Download Sets information
    4. Use the preset ticked sets, and start download. Wait for ages and ages for it to finish.

Other Stuff

1. Make your deck.
    2. Go to their website: http://cockatrice.de/index.php?a=register
    3. Register and stuff.
    4. Cockatrice > Connect

The settings should be:

Host: play.cockatrice.de
    Port: 4747
    Player Name: The username you registered with
    Password: The password you registered with

5. Drop me a PM on YCM or here, or just post in this thread or something for help on dueling and hosting duels and stuff. I need practice on that too. Stupid unmemorable keyboard shortcuts.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:37 pm

Finally. I wanted for this day so much. <3

Noel covered everything up actually. With those changes, you're probably playing the best version of the deck.

About Cockatrice, you can just use Ctrl C Ctrl V to make a deck (but there can't be any grammar errors obviously). My nickname there is Sir Gideon whenever you feel like playing ^^

You did choose a quite... complicated deck to start with, honestly. It's 2 color, has complex mechanics like Cascade, and high-level Dual Lands. But if it works for you, its great.

I began with a Mono Green deck. It's linear, one color, and has a very clear objective. If you want, you can MSN me about the decklist, and always fell free to ask me anything about MtG.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Rod's right.

Vengevine is pretty complicated Razz But it's much simpler to play than any deck that has Blue in it anyway.

Still, the deck's pretty easy to get hang of since there are basically only a few major plays in it.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Well, no Solifuge makes a ton more sense now, ty Cursed.

I already got all the deckbuilding stuff down beforehand, so I'm pretty good there.

I'll get everything else done and probably start asking for games tomorrow (either via PMs on here/YCM when my ban wears out or on msn, the latter which Cursed should obv use more often)

Complicated works just fine for me, I like to challenge myself after all. Just gonna be weird adjusting to the mana pool mechanic. Everything else seems rather straightforward to me. And Vengevine's instantly become my favourite card so I wanted to have a deck around it pretty damn badly. xD

If I find this too hard to start with I'll probably try out the mono-Green build I saw in one of the articles on Wizards.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by .Rai Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:57 pm

;-; It's amazing how many people complain about me not being on MSN. I'm just lazy :3

Assuming you get Vengevine up and running well, have fun since Vengevine practically dominated 2010 /ohyeah
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:11 pm

Then get the f*** on msn. Simple solution.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:21 pm

Perfection wrote:Then get the f*** on msn. Simple solution.

Also, later on, you should look for Dredge decks.

They basically have:

Stinkweed Imp
    Vengevine
    Gravecrawler
    Life from the Loam (best card of the deck)

Dredge is, basically, Lightsworns. But done right. And very powerful. You can mill the stated cards to return the Dredge card from your Graveyard to your hand whenever you would draw a card (via effect or normal draw from the draw step). With that, you mill out your Vengevines and Gravecrawlers, and when you're ready, cast 2 Gravecrawlers from your Graveyard and return 4 Vengevines.

Insane.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Runs Vengevine. Already convinced.

Yeah I'll definitely look into more decks after this, but I'd rather focus on solidifying a starting point before getting into anything else. As it stands, Green, Red and Black definitely seem like what I'll be using the most because their playstyles are virtually interchangeable with the colour equivalents in Duel Masters, which actually helps a ton in gauging what I seem to like in Magic.
    Dae of Judgment
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 22

Post by Dae of Judgment Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Then you should join the Tournament de Guilds, sexy. <3
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:15 pm

If I get enough practice in, I don't see why not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:02 am