Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Resonators Discussion

Welche
    Welche
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 8

Resonators Discussion Empty Resonators Discussion

Post by Welche Thu May 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Introduction:
    Resonators are the signature archetype of Jack Atlas, much like Synchrons/Warriors are Yusei Fudo's signature deck. Sadly, the Resonators never got as much attention and in their OCG/TCG release they never could compete with any meta decks.

The Resonators are designed to work with cards like Vice Dragon or other level 5 monsters to create a powerful level 8 Synchro monster. Unfortunately, the time were a level 8 Synchro monster was impressive is long gone. This is evident through Dragunity which are not a threat despite their ability to bring out level 8 Synchros at little cost. So what makes Resonators worth looking at? They have the ability to bring out Red Nova Dragon who can easily have more than 5000 ATK which is still a force to be reckoned with.

Just a warning, I claim to be no expert in Resonators so this article will be brief. I've seen other people (like Spike) come up with very creative and innovative ways of playing this deck that I couldn't talk about in this post. I leave it to them to comment below explaining their own variant.

Cards:
    Barrier Resonator

A pattern you will soon start to notice, this little guy has weak stats. Thusly he mainly be used as Synchro fodder. His effect doesn't seem like much but it could come in handy in quite a few situations. It will protect any Resonator for a turn which can be essential for making Synchro plays. It is also the easiest way for Resonators on their own to make Red Nova Dragon.

Force Resonator

This card has equally bad stats. While the effect on this card does seem to be interesting, the number of targeting effects is low. It could be used in the Inzektor match-up fairly well I guess. Generally though I wouldn't run this because of its level. Level 2 doesn't help you complete this decks goal of pumping out level 8s and the only way to make Nova with this is have 2 of them out.

Flare Resonator

I'm not a big fan of this card. It has no redeeming features other than its level I guess. 300 ATK isn't enough to make a significant difference in most cases. With level 8 synchros, your opponent will generally be removing them via effects and not with battle. Thus the bonus this card gives isn't helpful enough.

Clock Resonator

Finally a card with decent stats, Clock Resonator is forced into defence position for its effect. This is a solid card to run because it has a good chance of surviving first turn to set you up for a Synchro play next turn. Having said that, I still prefer the next card I'm going to talk about...

Dark Resonator

Great picture the Wikia provides huh? Anyway I find this card to be a superior version of Clock Resonator simply because it works while in ATK position. It also is a DARK which is good for setting up chaos plays which could be in theory an amazing followup to the original synchro summon.

Creation Resonator

This is in my opinion one of the strongest Resonators in terms of effect. It is really strong in so far as it opens a lot of options. You can use it and Barrier Resonator combined to set up for a Red Nova Dragon, provided you already have a Red Dragon archfiend out. It can also be used as tribute fodder for Salvage Warrior which would allow you to make a second level 8 Synchro.

Resonator Call

The first of the support for the deck, Resonator Call is our ROTA. You can run 3 which will set up for all sorts of plays so why not.

Resonator Engine

While this card is in theory nice, the problem is that you might not run any Level 4 monsters in the deck. I know I for one do not. It also is dead in an early game situation. Generally I wouldn't run it, but if you run a build that relies on level 4s then why not.

Resonant Destruction

This card is slightly underwhelming. Getting anything more than a +0 from it seems unlikely and anything more than a +1 is nearly impossible. Personally I dont have any faith in this card, but if you think you can use it to get advantage feel free to run it. It could also serve as MST bait if you want that.

Red Carpet

This card is the easiest way to go into Red Nova in a single turn. Make one of the many plays into a level 8 Synchro then drop this card to make Red Nova. It does require some set up but it is worth it to pull of a really powerful summon. It is also chainable.

Well that is it for now folks! Be sure to stay tuned for discussion on support and the extra deck as well as strategies and tips.
    Yuzuru Otonashi
    Yuzuru Otonashi
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 18

Resonators Discussion Empty Re: Resonators Discussion

Post by Yuzuru Otonashi Thu May 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Except Red Nova Resonators suck and Level 8 Spam Resonators are equally bad ._.

Only good ones are Force (Level 2 unlocks access to a LOT of the specific Level 7s and makes an interesting Salvage engine with Diva), Dark, and arguably Barrier (Who shouldn't be at more than 1 as Chaos/Carpet fodder, if even 1).

Clock is like a crappy Dark resonator, Creation's only good in the lolrednova build, and Flare is absolutely terrible.

Red Carpet is a pretty good tech, because it doesn't take that much set up and nets you more set up for Synchros.
    Ruby
    Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 17

Post by Ruby Thu May 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Welche wrote:So what makes Resonators worth looking at? They have the ability to bring out Red Nova Dragon who can easily have more than 5000 ATK which is still a force to be reckoned with.

This news is older than Atem. =/

Resonators were fun in the past. I know because I ran Level 8/Red Nova Resonators too, but this guide is really just explaining the goddamn obvious.

Hell, who doesn't know of the Vice Dragon + Dark Resonator combo? Jack used it almost quite literally EVERY DUEL.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:36 am