Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic Online Holiday Cube Draft #3

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Magic Online Holiday Cube Draft #3 Empty Magic Online Holiday Cube Draft #3

Post by Ashiok Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:08 pm

This is, unfortunately, my last "free" cube on MTGO. I had roughly 20 phantom points before I started cubing and they cost 16 each to enter. Going 3-0 in single elim gets 18 phantom points and 3 packs of Mercadian Masques. 2-1 gets 12 points and 3 packs. So I gained 30 from my first two. Unfortunately only went 1-1 this time but oh well. I can draft some Mercadian Masques and hopefully get something insane like a Misdirection (Worth 80 tickets on MTGO).

Should be noted this was my "disaster draft". As someone who takes pride in my limited ability, I was disappointed with how I started the draft. I originally wanted to opt into mono red from a very weak first pack; Taking Kargan Dragonlord. In retrospect the Dimir Signet in the pack was the stronger pick imo, or just the Watery Grave. This was followed by two packs devoid of Red and me taking True-Name Nemesis (which has been in all 3 of my cube decks and I've only drawn it once) then Joraga Treespeaker, at which point my draft looked abysmal and after pack 1 I had roughly 3 good cards in Nemesis, Treespeaker and a Jace, AOT (A card I also never saw). Somehow managed to salvage my draft into a pretty sweet 4 colour deck, with what should be just enough fixing but was sort of awkward in practice. Not too bad though for 4 colours, I rarely got cards stranded in my hand. I didn't play enough black sources though, and didn't pick up on it until the last game of my draft where I had Phyrexian Arena and Damnation in my hand and struggled to find a second black source.

https://i.imgur.com/p9bvjC4.png Deck image

Creatures:
    Joraga Treespeaker
    Lotus Cobra
    Shardless Agent
    True-Name Nemesis
    Aeon Chronicler
    Shriekmaw

Instants/Sorceries:
    Lightning Bolt
    Mana Drain
    Time Walk
    Magma Jet
    Dismember
    Maelstrom Pulse
    Damnation
    Upheaval

Enchantments:
    Phyrexian Arena
    Threachery

Artifacts:
    Izzet Signet
    Simic Signet
    Orzhov Signet

Planeswalkers:
    Xenagos, the Reveler
    Jace, Architect of Thought
    Garruk Wildspeaker
    Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker

Lands:
    Badlands
    Blood Crypt
    Rakdos Carnarium
    Llanowar Wastes
    Tropical Island
    Verdant Catacombs
    6 Island
    4 Forest
    1 Swamp

As I said earlier, I went 1-1, beating a very solid U/G Opposition deck in round 1, which involved casting Treachery on his Wurmcoil Engine. I also had the pleasure of a turn 3 Garruk + Signet into turn 4 suspend Chronicler for 3 in 2 of the 3 games.

Round 2 is obviously where I lost. Game 1 he turn 3 Tinkered for Blightsteel... That ended very quickly given my only out was Treachery ramping into it and drawing it off the Time Walk I had... I didn't find it. Game 2 ended in me stampeding him down with Garruk and Xenagos. Game 3 was a ridiculously close one and came down to me needing to find Upheaval in roughly 10 cards drawn from 20 in deck. I didn't find it when I could have won off of it due to my Aeon Chronicler coming in off suspend and then died two turns later when I still couldn't find it. If I had had 2 more mana or 4 more life I would have still won that game though, interestingly enough.

Best moment of the draft was this pack: https://i.imgur.com/SHAwTUA.png
    That's with 2 cards gone. I took Time Walk because it was the most powerful card in the pack and I couldn't really make any use of Mox Ruby since I didn't want to play any Mountains at that point anyway. After taking the Time Walk, I even got to wheel Shardless Agent which only had Mana Drain as a miss and only then in the late game since it would at least be a colourless Dark Ritual for the next turn.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:15 am