Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Changes to YCS Top 16

HiveNet
    HiveNet
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 7

Changes to YCS Top 16 Empty Changes to YCS Top 16

Post by HiveNet Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:11 pm

https://yugiohblog.konami.com/articles/?p=5733

To quote the article itself:

"Instead of the normal Advanced Constructed Format, we will now have the Top 16 Duelists draft their Top 16 decks, and compete in Booster Draft format, using the Brand New War of the Giants – Round 2."

Ignoring the fact YGO as a game doesn't hugely lend itself to draft play, this is actually amazing news. For starts you actually have to be good at the game to really win a YCS now, compared to what it is currently.

That and it's yet more evidence of the game actually trying to change itself for the better.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Changes to YCS Top 16 Empty Re: Changes to YCS Top 16

Post by Ashiok Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:21 pm

I don't like this idea because I much prefer the idea of just having one format, or implementing two formats together without being so.... well lacking in one.

The Magic Pro Tour is a good example of good balance. 3 rounds of draft on day 1 followed by 6 of constructed, with 3 rounds of draft starting off day two with constructed following and a top 8 of just the constructed format. Overall, one should be rewarded more for what they are more in control of; Their deck choice, as drafting can just screw a player over due to the random aspect to it. Besides, if they want to make it more skill intensive a game it's not too out of the realm of possibility for them to, I don't know, start designing cards well.
    Illyarcher
    Illyarcher
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 5

Post by Illyarcher Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 am

I think this is actually really ridiculous like "oh hey, you got to top 16 through skill and luck, now to advance you need to get some broke as stuff out of sealed play and hope you don't fudge it up by getting about 3 high priestesses with 0 spellbooks." yeah, I'm literally wanting this to happen.
    HiveNet
    HiveNet
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 7

Post by HiveNet Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Illyarcher wrote:I think this is actually really ridiculous like "oh hey, you got to top 16 through skill and luck, now to advance you need to get some broke as stuff out of sealed play and hope you don't fudge it up by getting about 3 high priestesses with 0 spellbooks." yeah, I'm literally wanting this to happen.
    It's Draft, not sealed.

There's a massive difference between how the two play out afterall, so the distinction matters.

That and it's kinda a draft designed set so it's not all bad.
    Illyarcher
    Illyarcher
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 5

Post by Illyarcher Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Sorry, I thought Sealed and Draft meant the same thing. My bad. I still don't really like it though.
    Welche
    Welche
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 8

Post by Welche Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Didn't people always have to be good at the game to win?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:15 pm