Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Standard White Weenie

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Standard White Weenie Empty Standard White Weenie

Post by Ashiok Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Creatures:
    4 Boros Elite
    4 Dryad Militant
    4 Soldier of the Pantheon
    4 Daring Skyjek
    4 Precinct Captain
    1 Imposing Sovereign
    1 Azorius Arrester
    4 Frontline Medic

Instants:
    4 Brave the Elements
    4 Boros Charm

Enchantments:
    2 Spear of Heliod

Planeswalkers:
    2 Ajani, Caller of the Pride

Lands:
    2 Mutavault
    4 Temple of Triumph
    4 Sacred Foundry
    12 Plains

Sideboard:
    2 Burning Earth
    1 Mountain
    4 Banisher Priest
    3 Pacifism
    2 Mizzium Mortars
    1 Glare of Heresy
    1 Wear // Tear
    1 Warleader's Helix

Because more recently I've been somewhat intrigued by aggressive decks. Basically considering dropping all my Tron stuff on MTGO for this since U and UW Tron are so bad in the modern meta game right now. Also going to work on getting this irl since I have the mana base for it bar a Mutavault already along with a couple of the more expensive cards.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Standard White Weenie Empty Re: Standard White Weenie

Post by .Rai Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I always prefer playing 2 Imposing Sovereigns in these decks mained, or at least another in the side. There's definitely some aggro and some midrange matchups where you want to have a second.

Otherwise, I like the build. Opinions on Judge's Familiar? Although I like Dryad Militant a little better, there's something to be said for having the evasion bypass (which works well with Spear of Heliod) and having a slightly more relevant ability than Dryad Militant's.

I've also occasionally swapped in Syndic of Tithes instead of Arrester with some success.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:02 pm

Well, I felt the choice was 2 Imposing Sovereign, 2 Azorius Arrester or a 1/1 split, and felt the split worked nicely since drawing both is never redundant in the former's case, but more powerful than drawing 2 Arresters. I don't feel the need for it in the side. I'm generally the aggressor even post-board but get to bring in a bunch of good removal.

I think Judge's Familiar is just about the worst White 1-drop in standard. 1 power isn't nearly enough and its ability is such a minimal upside given it's too narrow for what removal is actually played. If it could counter Detention Sphere or Verdict, it'd be an option, but without being able to do that I think it's just plain awful.

I like Arrester having an immediate impact on the board. Also the deck's incredibly mana tight and Mutavaults don't help that. The reach provided by Syndic is unlikely to ever even come into effect. 22 lands just isn't enough to require a mana sink that isn't Mutavault, imo.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:45 pm

Looks pretty cool, I've always loved White Weenie decks.

I do agree about having 2 Imposing's as well.
    Dae of Judgment
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 22

Post by Dae of Judgment Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:47 am

I actually see the 1/1 split with Arrester and Sovereign to be an interesting play. They both affect the same amount of things in the game eventually, but Arrester affects the game at that moment and isn't such a bad draw later in the game or just a bad draw unless your opponent just doesn't have fuel on the table. The problem with Sovereign is that is doesn't have much affect in the later-part of a game. It does however have much more of usability when facing Mono-Green or Mono-Blue devotion in games 1+.

If I was going with it, I too would use 2 Imposing Sovereign since it causes creatures to enter the battlefield tapped and affects that turn where Arrester is going to be slower in that sense and end up tapping down just one creature. Against Mono-Black, I could see it being used more, though.

Frankly, how has Arrester been testing for you? It seems far less useful in theory, but play could be different for it.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:10 am

Arrester's overperformed for me in testing.

I do like only having one of it, but when the one copy is drawn it's been fantastic every time. It's pretty sweet if you have a good hand plus an Arrester early, too. Means you can sculpt it just being insane.

The main problem with Sovereign is it being just a 2/1 on turn 2 that I'm virtually forced to play, and I'd rather never play it over Skyjek, Captain or two 1 drops.

The 1/1 split's done me very well so far.
    Dae of Judgment
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 22

Post by Dae of Judgment Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:25 am

Fair enough. Mostly, it is a strategical idea to have that most aggressive play with the deck in performance. You would rather play something that does more for that game plan while Arrester doesn't pressure you unlike Sovereign while still having the same ability in a sense.

Just as I thought for Arrester. The draw is almost never bad with Arrester where Sovereign can be when drawing it later rather than earlier.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 3:55 am