Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Standard Grixis Control

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Standard Grixis Control Empty Standard Grixis Control

Post by Ashiok Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:07 pm

Because my old Grixis thread was getting cluttered with like a million changes, and it's a new set, so yeah. Also this will be, once again, my main focus probably for the rest of the format (and probably for as long as I play standard).

So, one of the main traits of this deck is that it's removal heavy. This is due to the fact that in my local meta control is almost entirely just dead. A couple of other players will bring control every now and then but aside from me and the other Grixis player no one brings a control deck every FNM. Due to this, though, and my excessive paranoia to cover the control matchup post-board, the sideboard is flooded with control hate because I don't side out much at all vs aggro anyway and it's the matchup I feel is only "fair" post-board when I don't have a ton of dead removal.

Oh and to this day I haven't seen anyone playing Bant Auras, so unless that starts showing up I'm not siding for it, or maining for it really.

Oh and the Cyclops concept? Yeah, it turns out it really was just too cute. I tested it a bunch and while it had some ridiculous wins, it just felt awkward and clunky and it would probably just be better being Izzet Blitz.

Also as much as I hate when Augur misses, I still think he's the best turn 2 play for this deck, and I just love the value the guy can get.

Anyway, onto the decklist:

Creatures:
    4 Augur of Bolas
    1 Olivia Voldaren
    2 AEtherling

Planeswalkers:
    3 Jace, Architect of Thought
    1 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage

Sorceries:
    3 Pillar of Flame
    3 Dreadbore

Instants: