Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Chris' Gatecrash Pre-Release

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Chris' Gatecrash Pre-Release Empty Chris' Gatecrash Pre-Release

Post by Ashiok Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 pm

First time ever going to a pre-release (or any Magic event whatsoever, other than playing at home) and ended up choosing Orzhov since it seemed rather clear it and Boros were the best guilds... And I'd never ever choose Boros if my life depended on it.

Ended up splashing Blue for Soul Ransom, since I was short on really good playables, ended up with what I think's a very solid deck and took it to go 2-1-2 (W-L-D). Yeah, turns out Orzhov's slow as shit and I went to time twice, once against Boros (even when he had Aurelia) and once against Simic (which tied me for the last game). Ended up joint 8th, I believe, and received 2 packs which had nothing bar a foil Mountain. Oh and opened a foil Diluvian Primordial in my sealed packs, so hopefully that'll have a nice price tag thanks to EDH.

Oh and on the note of Aurelia. I discovered that she really doesn't like me since I played against 3 decks that had Aurelia all day, drew against the first, beat the second and lost to the third.

The deck I played was as follows:

1 Dutifull Thrull
    1 Basilica Screecher
    1 Gutter Skulk
    1 Vizkopa Guildmage
    1 Kingpin's Pet
    1 Basilica Guards
    1 Slate Street Ruffian (Wish I had played a second, since it was the playable I dropped for Murder Investigation)
    1 Corpse Blockade
    1 Balustrade Spy
    1 Smog Elemental (Insanely good all the event, was so glad I rated it as high as I did)
    1 Urbis Protector (Way better than I considered it)
    1 Treasury Thrull

2 Smite
    1 Killing Glare
    1 Orzhov Charm
    1 Executioners Swing
    1 Devour Flesh
    1 Murder Investigation (This was absolutely useless all day)
    1 Orzhov Keyrune
    1 Arrows of Justice
    1 Soul Ransom (Fantastic card, worked so well with the Blockade too)
    1 Merciless Eviction

7 Swamp
    6 Plains
    2 Island
    2 Orzhov Guildgate

Round 1 was against Boros. Game 1 was relatively uninteresting; I had control of the entire game and then down comes Aurelia right off the top and just 12s me in one turn. Not happy. Game 2 he manages to get Aurelia again, but at this time his only other decent sized creatures are two 3/1s with Battalion->Flying and I had a Smog Elemental and I win on the back of Extorting a ton. Game 3 I extort him really low and the game goes to time. I would have won if there had been just one more turn, but rules are rules so we get a draw.

Round 2 was against Boros splash Orzhov for Vizkopa Guildmage (I didn't see any other black cards, at least). Game 1 ended pretty fast with me winning. Just had all my Extort guys and he had no real way of dealing with fliers that I didn't kill. Game 2 he got Assemble the Legion. I had about 3 turns to draw Merciless Eviction and... no dice. Game 3 just ended really fast for me. Gutter Skulk got in for a ton of damage before I got to extort the rest out of him. Treasury Thrull for value was great.

Round 3 was against the mirror with Gateway Shade, Crypt Ghasts and the 2/4 Vigilance guy. I thought I'd lose badly. Game 1 went really fast into my favour. I killed everything I needed to and just won off a 4/4 Angel token. Game 2 took ages and nearly got us into time. Eventually a Smog Elemental + Vizkopa Guildmage giving it Lifelink and draining him for his remaining 5 life won me the game. I was legitimately scared when my life started dropping from 30, though, eventually hit 18 before I won.

Round 4 was against Boros. Game 1, I get a really key Soul Ransom and steal his Boros Reckoner, to later get sacked to Corpse Blockade when he discarded 2 in the same turn. Eventually won that game thanks to some really lucky kill spells and a Merciless Eviction. Game 2, lost after casting Merciless Eviction. He just topdecked some giant creatures to my Basilica Guards, was an easy win for him. Game 3 I kept a 3 lander, needing to draw a 4th to really even up against his aggressive draw. Didn't see a 4th land and just lost easily.

Round 5 was against Simic, we're both 2-1-1, and we'd both top 8 if we drew. Game 1 went really easily in my favour, I managed to steal his Fathom Mage with Soul Ransom which was hilarious since it was the first time he even got to cast it all day and I had control of it the very next turn. I managed to take that game easily, keeping a high life total and just grinding him out with extorts and then a 4/4 Angel. Game 2 he got and insanely good curve of Simic guys and I was terribly low on removal, so he managed to overwhelm me. Final game managed to lead us to time with him having a bunch of 5+ guys and me sitting on a bunch of little guys and a Dutiful Thrull (Apparently B for regen is good on ANY creature). Managed to stall the game out through the turns of time and we landed on a draw. Turn after I could Merciless Eviction to reset the board, but neither of us could tell how the game was actually gonna end.

The guy I played for last round was actually awesome and gave me all his commons/uncommons from his sealed pool, so I now have a huge stack of those... And a foil Mountain from what he gave me which is cool I guess.

So yeah.

Highlights:
    -First sealed event ever.
    -Won 2 packs
    -Only lost 1 match
    -Got to play a deck I hugely enjoyed playing
    -Foil Diluvan Primordial

Lowlights:
    -Aurelia magnet, holy f***
    -Barely opening any Extort cards
    -Not playing my second Dutiful Thrull
    -Going to time and drawing in it twice when I would've won the first

So yeah, awesome day. Good luck to all the americans yet to go to theirs.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Chris' Gatecrash Pre-Release Empty Re: Chris' Gatecrash Pre-Release

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Wow, Aurelia must really hate you Smile 3 different people played it?

I hope I can get so lucky at my pre release.
    Kira
    Kira
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 6

Post by Kira Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:37 pm

At least I know I can expect quite a bit of Boros play. And you proved Orzhov is really slow so hopefully Dimir has the advantage there. Hopefully.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Post by Ashiok Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Jordan, Lich Lord wrote:Wow, Aurelia must really hate you Smile 3 different people played it?

I hope I can get so lucky at my pre release.

From what I saw, at least 4/5 people opened Aurelia.

Saw no Obzedats or Zeganas.

Saw one Lazav.

Doubt anyone would admit to having Boborygmos.

Top 8 ended up with 3 Boros, 3 Orzhov (I believe one splashed Red, and I splashed blue for Soul Ransom), 1 Gruul and 1 Simic. Dimir had a terrible play out simply because you can't get enough cards that work together for one relatively cohesive strategy in sealed. You get half mill and half Cipher and it just looks miserable. The Gruul player did surprisingly well and unfortunately I didn't get to see the cards he had, although I believe he splashed Boros Charm and got a bunch of removal (unsurprising when all but 3 of my matches went to time and 2 of those 3 ended right before time was called, generally being the last match to finish, or one of the last, so I couldn't do much of any scouting).

So yeah, Dimir did awful.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:44 pm