Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Jace, the Mind Sculptor Empty Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Post by Ashiok Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Jace, the Mind Sculptor 31

Because I was reading one of Caleb Durward's articles (this one: http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/legacy-weapon-examining-the-banned-and-restricted-list/ ) and it got me to thinking about Jace and how he'd be in modern.

I think Caleb brings up some very valid points, especially the fact that modern is pretty much a combo-centric format with Jund being the closest thing to mainstream control (U/W shows up every now and then, but bar the rare Sun Titan deck, they're just tempo). Jace actually gives the format at the very least a win condition in a control deck bar a 6 mana Titan or a White Sun's Zenith.

Remember this is the format with turn 3 Karn, turn 3 BBE, turn 3/4 combos that win the game and no free counterspells. Tapping out for Jace really doesn't seem all that amazing in that regard, and alienating control entirely in a format honestly makes modern seem worse and worse.

Also, from my experience playing Jace in Legacy, he's not a horribly mindless card, as much as the dogmatism attached to him may suggest. Sure, Brainstorming is a free card, and played right can be a pseudo-3 cards, but you've got to actually Brainstorm right, and a lot of the time you most certainly can't be playing a 4 mana Brainstorm. Modern has a million answers to him as well, with the standard format where Jace was introduced being dominated by Bloodbraid Elf (Oh, what a coincidence). Jace seems like a perfectly unban-worthy card. Heck, Legacy has all the free counterspells you could ask for and still you'll never be dropping Jace on turn 4.

The only arguments besides "He's broken" I really see thrown around a lot are basically that he costs a fortune which isn't what WotC want for modern (Seriously, if that were the case, the entire Jund deck would be subject to being banned; I'm looking at you Tarmogoyf (a card that would probably still see more play than Jace in modern)) and that he "oppresses blue card choice". So, Jace oppresses Blue card choice? Well, so does Vendilion Clique and Snapcaster Mage; It's just not a legitimate argument. Heck, Dark Confidant oppresses Black card choice, Tarmogoyf oppresses Green card choice; You can do it for any colour.

Well, go ahead, tell me how stupid I am for believing Jace is fine.
    HSektor
    HSektor
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 16

Jace, the Mind Sculptor Empty Re: Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Post by HSektor Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:05 pm

I think that Modern really needs some Control space to stop all of that turn 3/4 wins. It's worth testing for some months.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 4

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:47 pm

The initial ban for Mind Sculptor came out of Standard/Extended though, didn't it? It was prior to the format swap and it just sort of carried over for some reason.

I've done some testing with Tron, Affinity, etc., and to be honest with you, Mind Sculptor is nowhere close to being a serious issue in the format. There are a lot worse cards that are actually /in/ the format and need the axe than him. I also don't see a format where you play 4 Mind Sculptor all the time, either.

So...tl;dr, ban Bloodbraid, acquire Jace.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Kyousuke Kousaka wrote:So...tl;dr, ban Bloodbraid, acquire Jace.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor 2hylc1g

no
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 4

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:50 pm

CDDRodrigo wrote:
    Kyousuke Kousaka wrote:So...tl;dr, ban Bloodbraid, acquire Jace.

Jace, the Mind Sculptor 2hylc1g

no

I blame Legacy.

My previous statement still stands. At least, the first half, anyway.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:06 pm

$100 for a card that's a staple in (currently 2) what would be 3 eternal (modern kinda counts) formats seems pretty fair, tbh.

Not to mention, being a card that would likely see quite a bit of modern play would mean WotC would have a reason to reprint Jace.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:09 pm

No single card should ever reach 100 dollars, but I guess it's too late now.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Not like modern already has Tarmogoyf or anything...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:51 pm