Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
.Rai
Ashiok
6 posters

[Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser)

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser) Empty [Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser)

Post by Ashiok Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

4 Arbor Elf
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    2 Borderland Ranger
    4 Huntmaster of the Fells
    2 Olivia Voldaren
    4 Thragtusk

3 Abrupt Decay

4 Farseek
    3 Pillar of Flame
    3 Dreadbore
    2 Sign in Blood

1 Garruk Relentless

4 Forest
    4 Overgrown Tomb
    4 Woodland Cemetery
    4 Dragonskull Summit
    4 Blood Crypt
    3 Swamp
    1 Mountain

Admittedly, I'll be happier when we get Stomping Grounds (and whatever else comes with Gruul) just to make the mana that little bit more consistent, but from testing this could easily become one of the best decks in standard.

Not entirely sure how I'm gonna be siding, though. The deck itself is one of the best answers to Zombies, since it doesn't just stabilise but batters them over the top. Probably just gonna need to side for G/W midrange and Bant control, really, just haven't got around to how to do that yet. If someone wants to lend a hand on siding, that'd be helpful.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

[Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser) Empty Re: [Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser)

Post by .Rai Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Against control, you really want to be faster. Olivia Voldaren can be sided out for stuff like Slaughter Games. Slaughter Games is great against blue decks, and is great for just removing all of their win cons.

G/W Midrange will probably side in lifegain against you (Centaur Healer, Trostani), in which case there's no point trying to race. You can instead just play more explosive win conditions (Rakdos's Return, Wolfir Silverheart, Zealous Conscripts).
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

[Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser) Empty Re: [Standard] Jund Midrange (The Zombie Hoser)

Post by Ashiok Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks, man.

From that, might make the side look something a bit like:

1 Pillar of Flame
    1 Abrupt Decay
    3 Wolfir Silverheart
    1 Zealous Conscripts
    2 Slaughter Games
    3 Rakdos' Return
    3 Dreg Mangler
    1 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Or something. idk I'm bad with sideboard numbers and what else are good sideboard cards.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Still should side Graveyard hate like Tormod's Crypt
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Hmm, Tormod's Crypt does seem like it's overdoing it, especially when it does nothing.

Cremate looks better, most decks use the yard for a 1-time play, or for just one card, and it's not like I really need to side anything more than a Pillar of Flame against Zombies.
    Capricorn El Cid
    Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

Post by Capricorn El Cid Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:33 pm

Rakdos Charm is the Graveyard Hoser you might want to play Specially coz it does not only hoses Graveyards, but interacts with Tokens and Deal with anoying Artifacts if there is any worth playing next format.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 4

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:50 pm

Rakdos Charm's pretty good in the board for this, since you're going to want to hit control pretty hard.

Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 3

Post by Pack Rat Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm

Needs more Garruk and Vraska.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:02 pm

Vraska's crap.

Garruk's really not even that great, since he works better in a deck that can really abuse him as a toolbox, or need him to eat stuff. This deck really just doesn't, and I don't want to draw a hand with not so much removal and Garruk, or not so many creatures and Garruk. He's really nice to see, when I see him, but I'd rather keep it like that, than moaning because I drew Garruk (or too many Garruks) and not enough to support him.
    Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Pack Rat Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:21 pm

Um, she's not, that's for starters. +1 into 2x -3 is BRUTAL. And Garruk is amazing in here, pumping out tokens and serving as removal. Especially if it lands on T3 with Farseek. Arbor Elf is also kinda redunant, you could add Bonfire and Rakdos' Return (actually, why aren't they here?).
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:37 pm

Um, she is. The best you'll ever get out of her is a 5 mana Maelstrom Pulse. The moment you -3, she's dying the next turn.

Yeah, and without more than his Wolves, he's getting killed. Zombies are kind of a thing, and Wolves aren't going to protect Garruk enough. I'd rarely ever play him turn 3 anyway, because of this. Turn 3 is reserved for Nighthawks, Borderland Rangers, Huntmasters and Olivia.

Arbor Elf isn't remotely redundant. He eats early removal if he has to, he also works to give me 8 "dorks" including Farseek. 8 ways to accelerate is infinitely better and more consistent.

Rakdos' Return is bad against aggro, which is going to be a pretty important thing to beat this format. I don't want potentially dead cards in the main so I'd rather side them.

Bonfire can be amazing, but it can be absolutely awful at the same time. I'd rather run consistent removal (Pillar of Flame, Abrupt Decay, Dreadbore) and not run the risk of topdecking a dead card. It's not relevant enough against Zombies since they're so resistant to dying anyway, it's not good enough against G/W Midrange on the curve, so it's only good as a late-game topdeck, and it's useless against control. The only time it's even good is in the mirror.

The way you seem to be putting it, I think you're looking more at the "best plays" of cards. I'm looking at it as what their worst plays are, and avoiding those at all costs. So while in a sense what your idea of good makes my deck even better when it's at its best, my version makes it better when it's at its worst. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Pack Rat Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Sure, it's your opinion.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:40 pm

Not exactly. Cards are technically objective in whether they are good or bad. Just you didn't prove in any way why I should be running any of what you suggested, or what they should replace. You just briefly described "the nut play", that almost any card has.
    Pack Rat
    Pack Rat
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Pack Rat Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 pm

Mainly because I don't have time or will right now. I'm gonna write you everything tomorrow.

P.S. Bonfire for X=2 without Miracle is still good ;3
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:45 pm

A'ight, cool. I like being proved wrong anyway, shows me where I need to improve.

It's not killing any Thragtusks or Armada Wurms any time soon though, nor is it really dealing with Messengers, Lol Trolls and Gravecrawlers. :c

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 am