Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control]

Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 4

Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control] Empty Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control]

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 am

Creatures (11):
    3x Bloodgift Demon
    4x Desecration Demon
    4x Vampire Nighthawk

Lands (22):
    20x Swamp
    2x Cathedral of War

Instants (10):
    4x Victim of Night
    3x Murder
    3x Tribute to Hunger

Planeswalkers (3):
    2x Liliana of the Veil
    1x Liliana of the Dark Realms

Sorceries (13):
    2x Barter in Blood
    4x Duress
    3x Mutilate
    4x Sign in Blood

Artifacts (1):
    1x Staff of Nin

So I gave this a test, proxying in Desecration Demon using Demonlord of Ashmouth (also costs 4 CMC, so I figured that would be fair enough to help me remember it). Holy hell, the potential force this deck has is disproportionate. I can't even decide on a sideboard for it, it's so clean at handling things. <3

I'm probably going to move a lot of numbers around/change the creature lineup a tad, but this is how it's shaping up to be, at least until more black stuff is revealed for RtR. Thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by Kyousuke Kousaka on Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 am; edited 3 times in total
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control] Empty Re: Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control]

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:19 am

Seems pretty good to me given what I know about MBC. I dont really have anything to give you that would be better than you already have.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control] Empty Re: Plunging Into the Abyss [Post-Rotation Mono-Black Control]

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:26 am

Again, I'm probably going to change a few things about the deck as stuff gets revealed. Had a lot of things to consider, but since Desecration is one of the keys to best utilize Tragic Slip, I figured it would be a good option to have sitting around for now.

Another interesting thing to note that's probably going to change when RtR actually drops: This deck's current cost, at least on StarCityGames, is $115.28.

EDIT: I'm considering 1-2 Cavern of Souls just for Desecration, but that really depends on whether or not it would have value for just one part of the deck, even if it's a very good part.

I'm thinking not, but I'm sure a couple of you will prove me wrong.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Post by .Rai Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:02 am

-4 Blood Artist
    +3 Bloodgift Demon
    +1 Sign in Blood

I'm personally iffy on Ravenous Rats. It doesn't suit Mono-Black Control well. I'd prefer more Mutilates, or Staff of Nin, or even Cathedral of War.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:41 pm

.Rai wrote:-4 Blood Artist
    +3 Bloodgift Demon
    +1 Sign in Blood

I'm personally iffy on Ravenous Rats. It doesn't suit Mono-Black Control well. I'd prefer more Mutilates, or Staff of Nin, or even Cathedral of War.

I understand what you mean, in essence. Since Liliana's in the deck, Rats' effect on the game is pretty unnoticable, especially since there's also Duress.

So I'll do what you said, and try this as well:
    -4 Rats
    +1 Mutilate
    +2 Cathedral of War
    +1 Staff of Nin

Think that'll be good? I'm going to test it to be sure.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 pm

So Chris was right, as per usual. Tragic Slip doesn't do as much as I'd like, especially since the only targets it really hits are Snapcasters and miniscule nothings. The Morbid triggers don't especially work out in MBC, since they're more aggro-oriented.

Also, about the Mutilates. They're good board wipe for most creatures, but hitting a lot of prime/dangerous targets renders them dead-in-hand a lot of time, at least in my tests of post-rotation deck mechanics.

On top of that, any aggro deck that runs Undying as a source of power (which they should, it's surprisingly effective pressure) eats Mutilate like it's nothing. Extremely tempted at the moment to sideboard the card for token/splash-heavy decks.

Nin and the Cathedrals have tested fairly well, to update. If I'm sitting on Vampire Nighthawk, I'll more than likely get 3-4 life a turn to make up for anything that takes a swing at me. On top of that, Nin's a good cycler late-game when I need removal in hand.

But yeah. Currently considering what I'd put in the sideboard simply to have replacement options for Mutilate. A lot of games against heavy aggro, I ended up using it as discard fodder for Veil Lily.

EDIT: If I don't get rid of Mutilate, I'm going to look into some more fatties, since aggro'll just absorb the blow if I don't have something sitting around to catch them later. I can't believe that I'm actually debating it, but Griselbrand (and a few other Demons, for that matter), look like they could have good placement in the deck.
    Capricorn El Cid
    Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

Post by Capricorn El Cid Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:23 am

First Priority in Sideboard Choices

Tormod Crypt

Also I found that Tribute to Hunger is a more than Decent Replacement to Slips specially agaisnt Decks with the Traft
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:45 am

-Griselbrand- wrote:First Priority in Sideboard Choices

Tormod Crypt

Also I found that Tribute to Hunger is a more than Decent Replacement to Slips specially agaisnt Decks with the Traft

I was thinking Crypt, and Tribute to Hunger was something that caught my eye.

Although, I'm not sure how that would work out against Geist, since you'd want to cast on end of turn...

EDIT: Oh, I'm dumb. Geist doesn't have his token post-combat. Sweet.

EDIT 2: Tribute to Hunger tested extremely well against the aforementioned aggro, and actually did win 2-1 versus a Delver variant I played against, thanks to one of my friends who offered to help me test the changes.

-3 Tragic Slip
    +3 Tribute to Hunger

Might just sideboard the Slips, though, just in case.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:56 am

Reviving this thread due to some reconsideration on my part. With Crypt Ghast and Lord of the Void in existence very soon, I think I'm going to choose to shape the deck around that sort of win condition, although maintaining most of the same, relevant elements, which include, of course, the removal tricks (with a possible use of Ultimate Price now, based on some observations of situational options from the meta's perspective), as well as the residual draw engine.

I was hoping someone could possibly point me in a good direction for making these changes. My main consideration at the moment is this:

-4 Desecration
    +2-3 Ghast
    +2 Void
    -3 Liliana
    -2 Duress
    +2 Appetite
    -2 Cathedral
    +2 Swamp
    +2 Connections

There are, of course, little things I have to change and test to make sure that they work, but maybe there's some other stuff I can look into doing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:11 pm