Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
CM Renji
Light Yagami
Dawn
Garazza
Jordan, Lich Lord
9 posters

Full Metal Alchemist

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Full Metal Alchemist Empty Full Metal Alchemist

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:15 am

Fullmetal Alchemist (Japanese title Hagane no Renkinjutsushi) follows the story of the Elric brothers, Edward and Alphonse. The brothers live in a world where those who know how to do so can practice the art of alchemy (transmuting one material into another). After a failed attempt to bring their mother back to life using human transmutation — a forbidden, taboo practice of alchemy — costs Ed his right arm and left leg (now replaced with artificial "automail" limbs) and leaves Al as a soul affixed to an empty suit of armor, the young brothers set out to find the legendary Philosopher's Stone, an artifact said to allow any form of transmutation without Equivalent Exchange.

Since the State tightly controls knowledge about the Philosopher's Stone, Edward takes — and passes — the State Alchemist Examination to become "a dog of the military" and gain access to the State's information. In addition to their own search, the brothers also do the government's work by solving problems no matter where they end up — though, just as often, trouble finds them first. As the Elrics dig deeper into the mystery of the Philosopher's Stone and search for a way to create one, they stumble onto truths about their family and friends, the military, and even the very nature of alchemy itself — and they also discover a vast conspiracy led by dark forces who wish to use their search for their own reasons.

The first anime adaptation of this work (which started in 2003) followed the story at first, it quickly spun off in another direction and ended up with an entirely different conclusion (since the manga's monthly release schedule made it impossible for the show to follow the manga without tons of filler). For more information on this series, as well as the tropes and characters involved exclusively within its canon, check out its own page.

In 2009, as the manga neared its end, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood premiered. This series followed the manga's story much more faithfully; it quickly skimmed through material already covered in the 2003 series so it could get to the point where the 2003 series and the manga diverged. Almost every member of the oft-praised cast of the 2003 series' dub returned to reprise their parts. Needless to say, fans reacted extremely positively especially fans of the manga who hated the 2003 series' changes and those who enjoyed the 2003 series but wanted more Fullmetal Alchemist. With amazing animation, a brisk pace, catchy opening and closing themes, and a plot far more faithful to the source material, Brotherhood earned its place as a must-watch series.

After the end of Brotherhood, a movie set within the seriesFullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos — began its Japanese theatrical run on July 2, 2011; it showed in select North American theaters in early 2012. Unlike The Conqueror of Shamballa (based on the first anime series), this film exists as a side-story to the manga/Brotherhood continuity.

In the US and Canada, Viz Media licenses and publishes the manga series, while FUNimation handles Brotherhood (which fans can watch, subbed or dubbed, on YouTubeFull Metal Alchemist External_link and HuluFull Metal Alchemist External_link). (Elsewhere in the English-speaking world, Brotherhood is licensed to Manga Entertainment in the UK and Ireland, while Madman Entertainment distributes both the show and the manga in Australia and New Zealand.) Brotherhood still airs on the re-booted Toonami in its new timeslot of Saturday nights at 1:30 AM (Eastern Time).

Ive only seen Brotherhood, but Ive got to say I love this show. It's one of the best ive seen in years.
    Garazza
    Garazza
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 29

Full Metal Alchemist Empty Re: Full Metal Alchemist

Post by Garazza Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 am

I've watched both series and I've thoroughly each both. I have not read the manga and don't plan on doing so anytime soon. I've recently introduced my friend to anime and his favorite is FMA.
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Rep : 13

Post by Dawn Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:50 am

I hardly watched any of the anime (either of them) but because I'm close to finishing it I should finish the manga, it's good.
    Light Yagami
    Light Yagami
    Members
    Members

Rep : 0

Post by Light Yagami Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:00 pm

I've read almost all the manga and watched the entire Brotherhood series. FMA was a consistent series filled with action, adventure, and humor all the way. It had a brilliant concept with the theory of alchemy and how it relates to the flow of the world and Truth. Probably one of the best animes ever.
    CM Renji
    CM Renji
    Members
    Members

Rep : 1

Post by CM Renji Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:45 am

I've not read the manga, but I've seen both the first anime and Brotherhood.

I've shown the anime to my sister(who loved it) and my friend(who is still watching it).

It's got amazing characters, a detailed plot, and great humor and suspense. I'd say it's easily the best anime I've ever seen.
    Slender Thar
    Slender Thar
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Rep : 6

Post by Slender Thar Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:03 am

Both shows are on Netflix, but in sequence, I've only read and watched the first episode of the first one.
    I'm just way behind and too lazy/busy to do anything about that.
    However, I find its realism quite refreshing. I'm not saying this cause I'm atheist, I'm just saying I like it for that.
    Yuzuru Otonashi
    Yuzuru Otonashi
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 18

Post by Yuzuru Otonashi Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:27 am

The original is fairly meh in my opinion.

Brotherhood, however, is only outclassed by Angel Beats! and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Absolutely AMAZING character development, even for minor characters, great plot, god power system, and it's easy to resonate with characters. It's just... almost perfect.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:28 am

Yuzuru Otonashi wrote:The original is fairly meh in my opinion.

Brotherhood, however, is only outclassed by Angel Beats! and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Absolutely AMAZING character development, even for minor characters, great plot, god power system, and it's easy to resonate with characters. It's just... almost perfect.

Speaking of Angel Beats how highly would you recomend it? Ive been thinking of watching it.
    Yuzuru Otonashi
    Yuzuru Otonashi
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 18

Post by Yuzuru Otonashi Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:36 am

Jordan-The Manamancer wrote:
    Yuzuru Otonashi wrote:The original is fairly meh in my opinion.

Speaking of Angel Beats how highly would you recomend it? Ive been thinking of watching it.
    With only a few exceptions, most people I know who have watched it have it either as a favorite or in their top 5 at least. I'd give it like a 9.9/10, with its only real flaw being that it's too short due to it having to be cut in half.

Hell, Kanade doesn't even care for anime at all, but loved it.
    Magic Man
    Magic Man
    Members
    Members

Post by Magic Man Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:13 am

Fullmetal Alchemist was a great, great series. I have yet to watch the original, but I've seen Brotherhood and read the manga. Everyone's pretty much summed up my thoughts with an awesome storyline, engrossing cast and everything else that's important.

Interestingly enough, I've heard opinions on another forum that the 2003 series is superior to Brotherhood. Apparently, Hiromu Arakawa felt the same and still considers it the better story even after finishing the manga. And Brotherhood supposedly has more plotholes, but I couldn't tell you what since I failed to spot any and I haven't seen the original yet.
    Yusei Fudou
    Yusei Fudou
    Members
    Members

Post by Yusei Fudou Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:38 am

Well, for the 2003 version, I'll admit it had some strong points. I preferred that Mustang killed Winry's parents showing more back story on him. That, and it had an amazing continuous movie to seal the deal rather than just a usual anime movie that is placed in the middle of the series or something. It actually followed the story after the anime. Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa is the one I'm referring too. That and I think Kimblee's design in 2003 is awesome. But his 2009 white suit is just much better. I still prefer Brotherhood even if that movie was somewhat lacking something. Oh right, and the plot in 2003 about how Homunculi are created was interesting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:08 pm