Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Johnny
Ruby
Jordan, Lich Lord
7 posters

Code Geass

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Code Geass Empty Code Geass

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Jordan-The Manamancer wrote:Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, a two-season anime series that aired from 2006 to 2008, plays with a lot of common anime tropes in interesting or entertaining ways — and had one of the most extreme examples of a Broken Base in recent memory to back its experimentation up.

The series takes place in an Alternate History where Britain won the Revolutionary War, but lost a later war against Napoleon, who went on to conquer the British Isles. This nation evolved into Britannia, a Social Darwinist empire that controls over a third of the world. Seven years before the start of the main story, Britannia invaded Japan to secure a rare mineral that makes a new power source possible. Thanks to their Humongous Mecha, the conflict ends in short order (Japan wins only a single minor battle). Britannia stripped Japan of everything — including its name — for almost a decade; the Empire and its subjects now refer to it only by the numerical designation based on when Britannia conquered the territory ("Area 11").

The story for Code Geass truly begins in the present day, where two friends who met as children in the days before the war — Lelouch Lamperouge and Suzaku Kururugi — have bumped into each other again, now as young adults. Suzaku, a career soldier of Japanese origin who hates bloodshed, has risen through the ranks of the occupation forces; success represents his dream of earning a noble title in order to use said title's rights and privileges to change the Britannian system from within. Lelouch, an exiled Britannian prince who sympathizes with a revolutionary faction, has become disillusioned by his inability to act against Britannia; the success of this insurgency represents the opportunity to finally have revenge for the murder of his mother.

Lelouch encounters a group of rebels fleeing from a secret research project, and this chance encounter introduces him to C.C. (pronounced as "C Two"; in the Japanese, "Shi-Tsu"), who offers Lelouch a faustian deal that will give him "the power of a king" (a supernatural power called a "Geass"). Lelouch's Geass manifests as an Evil Eye that allows him to give an order to anyone — and that person has to obey it. With this power and his incredible intelligence, Lelouch decides to overthrow the Britannian Empire; he hides his identity behind the masked persona of "Zero" and soon becomes the leader of Japan's resistance movement.

Meanwhile, Suzaku — the son of Japan's last free Prime Minister — has joined the Britannian military as part of his effort to change Britannia from within. After an encounter with terrorists, Suzaku becomes the test pilot of the Super Prototype mecha "Lancelot" and finds himself going head-to-head with Zero (and Lelouch) in terms of loyalty and ideals, which sets up one of the major conflicts during the series.

One of my favorite anime of all time. I feel sad becaue I only watched it this year when I could have seen it in 2006.
    Ruby
    Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 17

Code Geass Empty Re: Code Geass

Post by Ruby Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 pm

R2 was awful until halfway through.

I love how in the beginning though, Suzaku is literally a pilot of monstrous prowess. Holy shit Lancelot was so overpowered.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:30 pm

Voluptuous Eve wrote:R2 was awful until halfway through.

I love how in the beginning though, Suzaku is literally a pilot of monstrous prowess. Holy shit Lancelot was so overpowered.

Lancelot is Hax.

First time I''ve ever gotten to say that ( I Always Wanted to Say That) but I do think that it's crazy that he won almost every single battle in the early episodes. There cant be That! much of a power difference can there?
    Ruby
    Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ruby Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Jordan-The Manamancer wrote:
    Voluptuous Eve wrote:R2 was awful until halfway through.

Lancelot is Hax.

First time I''ve ever gotten to say that ( I Always Wanted to Say That) but I do think that it's crazy that he won almost every single battle in the early episodes. There cant be That! much of a power difference can there?

Lancelot was a new generation Knightmare, it was built to be above all others in the series and is. Lancelot literally mops up the floor with nearly everything except what, Gawain and Guren?

Two swords, ridiculous speed, Anti-Bullet Shields, and is synced with Suzaku which amplifies its abilities.

yeah, there was that much of a difference.
    Johnny
    Johnny
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : -1

Post by Johnny Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:18 pm

R2 was awful and the writers should feel terrible for even presenting it to us.
    Ruby
    Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ruby Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 pm

Johnny Raptor wrote:R2 was awful and the writers should feel terrible for even presenting it to us.

It got better when Lelouch vs his parents came up, and everything beyond that.
    Everything before that was turrible.
    Illyarcher
    Illyarcher
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 5

Post by Illyarcher Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:06 am

I wasn't too fond of the first few episodes of R2 either but then Lelouch vs Parents was just amazing.
    Ruby
    Ruby
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Ruby Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:29 am

Hikari Hoshi wrote:I wasn't too fond of the first few episodes of R2 either but then Lelouch vs Parents was just amazing.

Johnny's voice acting for those episodes were just golden.
    Johnny
    Johnny
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : -1

Post by Johnny Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:48 am

I didn't voice act shi--

Oh right, there's other Johnny's in the world...

Code Geass Tumblr_loal57yTbj1qbnd1c

Pic is related since this is how I felt throughout R2. Dubbed or Subbed. =/
    Raine
    Raine
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Rep : 11
    Location : Second star to the right and straight on til morning

Post by Raine Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:00 pm

R1 was beautiful and elegant without losing it's self in complexity or bad character development however as much as R1 didn't live up to the same mystique of the original, it was a majestic ending to the finish of R1 explaining the concept of Geass and cleaning up the grand stage of Britannia and the Emperor but keeping the finale clean and powerful.

A wonderful anime about a mix action/political/schemeing genius.
    My 6th favorite anime at 9/10
    Magic Man
    Magic Man
    Members
    Members

Rep : 0

Post by Magic Man Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:27 am

Code Geass was the first anime I watched before diving into the rest of the anime world and trying out all sorts of titles, so it has an obligatory spot in my heart similar to DBZ from my childhood.
    It gripped me deeply into the story. Lelouch, especially, was one of the most compelling leads I'd ever seen. Other characters can't quite match his charisma, but there are many who are just as interesting and unique.
    Even with the ending spoiled for me, I still felt touched emotionally at the finale.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:12 pm

Bumping this because it makes no sense to make a new thread. Finished watching R1 and R2 and I gotta say, this was an exceptionally well done plot. Lelouch has the best character development I've ever seen (I haven't seen many though). The finale was the best possible, IMO. It matched my expectations and surpassed them by miles.

9,5/10.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content