As David Bowie once said: Changes

.Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

As David Bowie once said: Changes

Post by .Rai on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:03 pm

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mm/metamorphosis

Full story here. There are more changes.

Change #1: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Blocks Will Be Two Sets Each

Starting with "Blood" block in September 2015, each block will have one large set that introduces the world and one small set that builds upon it. (I should note that this is the default and we reserve the right to have sets of different sizes if it serves the block.) Blocks will no longer have a third set.

Change #2: Beginning in the Fall of 2015, Magic Will Have Two Blocks Per Year

Here's the typical schedule of the Magic year, with all the usual caveats about how Magic is about change and you should expect us to shake this up a bit over time: There will be a large fall expansion and small winter expansion set in World #1. Then there will be a large spring expansion and a small summer expansion, usually set in World #2. The first two sets will be part of one block and the second two sets will usually be part of a second.

Change #3: Beginning in 2016, the Core Sets Are No More

The summer of 2015 will have the last core set release, and in 2016, the summer set will be the second set of the block that started in spring of 2016.

Change #4: Beginning in 2016, the First Set of Each Block (the Fall and Spring Sets) Will Cause a Rotation

This in some ways isn't a change, but rather an adaptation to match the new Two-Block Paradigm. The first set of a block has always caused a rotation in the past. The Two-Block Paradigm just means that this now happens twice a year (in the fall and in the spring) rather than just in the fall.

Change #5: Beginning in 2016, Standard Will Be Three Blocks Rather Than Two Blocks

To keep the metagame more robust, we are changing the size of Standard. This change is the reason we are telling you this now, because we want you to understand that Khans of Tarkir will only be played in Standard for 18 months. This change should not have any impact on the set's role in other formats.

Admin

Rep : 76

Re: As David Bowie once said: Changes

Post by Rodrigo on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:23 pm

These changes are enormous. I can't talk about them properly in just a few lines, so I'll just say this:

I AM HYPE!

Moderators

Rep : 31

Post by Ashiok on Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:08 am

Really happy about the changes they're planning on making. Seems like it can only be beneficial for standard.

"It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:31 am

I like the changes, and I like that the effects it will likely have. However, I do have 2 concerns.

1-Standard Cards will be in standard for less time, so it will take more money per year to play. Doesn't really effect my common, uncommon decks much but I think the big money deck will be hurt by this.

2-Without the planeless coresets, how will we get reprints on Plane Specific cards on planes we're not likely to return to?

.Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Post by .Rai on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:06 am

Jordan, Lich Lord wrote:I like the changes, and I like that the effects it will likely have. However, I do have 2 concerns.

1-Standard Cards will be in standard for less time, so it will take more money per year to play. Doesn't really effect my common, uncommon decks much but I think the big money deck will be hurt by this.

2-Without the planeless coresets, how will we get reprints on Plane Specific cards on planes we're not likely to return to?

1. I think someone calculated it. The average amount of time a set spent in Standard was about 18 months. It's about 17 months now, so the amount you'll be spending is only marginally more. The difference will be unnoticed for the most part.

2. Magic 2016 core set is gonna have some aggressive reprinting, I think, considering it's the core set swan song (I believe it's what the enigmatic Magic Origins trademark is for). Secondly, there is going to be another product line aimed at new players to replace the core set, which will probably reprint a lot of plane-specific cards. Thirdly, MaRo's already said that they're going to be much more aggressive with what cards they reprint in normal sets. So you can expect modern staples to pop up every so often in a normal set. And of course, they will still reprint cards in the Commander product they do every year, Duel Decks, Conspiracy etc.

Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:18 am

Ah okay. In that case I am A Okay with all of this Smile

Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

Post by Capricorn El Cid on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:59 pm

mmm Something interesting that i'm hearing about this is how it will incentive more trading between players...what do you think about it?

Elite Member

Rep : 22

Post by Dae of Judgment on Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:08 am

Capricorn El Cid wrote:mmm Something interesting that i'm hearing about this is how it will incentive more trading between players...what do you think about it?
    I think that trading would be more inspired from set to set, and rotation coming 18 month compared to 24 months around makes it easier for people to obtain the more recent cards but within in a smaller time of frame. Trading would be more regulated within time period, and the format is set to change more, making people try to keep up with the changing format. It definitely will increase trading and how it is viewed by the players. The shorter time period for cards would have an interesting effect on the outcome of decks from release to rotation, and the setting is bound to change more, which would mean that each deck would have new tools and new decks would be created. That is where trading comes it the most, when decks have new toys or there are new decks. Because of that, there is going to be more trading from set to set for those cards.

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:22 am

Question I wanted to ask based on discussion I've seen across the internet.

How would you guys feel about Wizards saying a small group of staples, ala Elvish Mystic, Cancel, Serra Angel, ect...were always standard legal for the future now that we have no more core sets?

Seems like it would only be an extension on the "Standard Legal, but not printed in M15" card idea they did this year.

Seems like it would give us our basic cards while also keeping set space open for new cards.

Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Post by Ashiok on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:11 am

I really don't like that idea. It limits the freedom they'd have to design the standard format, not to mention if people start playing later they're not cards they can readily pick up in currently standard-legal packs.

There are also scenarios where (using Elvish Mystic as an example) they feel like making a really, really good mana elf/dork (lets say, for sake of argument, Noble Hierarch) but to keep the format balanced they only want a single 1 mana accelerant in the format. Always having Elvish Mystic makes this completely impossible. The same argument can be made for things like keeping Lightning Strike in the format would stop them reprinting Lightning Bolt, etc. I'm not even talking from a strictly-better perspective, but I don't see any good from the idea when if they're that necessary they can just be reprinted.

"It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:19 am

All very good points.  I agree with you mostly, keeping a designated amount of staples will make them wary of adding others to the mix.

But it is interesting to have discussions on the topic, so I just thought I'd see what everyone thought. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:49 pm