Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

[THS Block] Mono-U Devotion

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

[THS Block] Mono-U Devotion Empty [THS Block] Mono-U Devotion

Post by Ashiok Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:09 pm

Since GP Manchester's coming up and I'll hopefully be able to go I figured best to start preparing now. JOU was very nice to this deck giving it two playable 1-drops that really help it get off the ground. It's still a little awkward in what it essentially forces you to play and there's an argument to be said that Sphinx should be in the main, but this is what I'll be testing initially. Also it's totally possible, and possibly likely, that the Fated Infatuations should be 2 more Voyage's End or 2 Dissolves.

Creatures:
    4 Triton Shorestalker
    4 Hypnotic Siren
    4 Mindreaver
    4 Vaporkin
    4 Omenspeaker
    4 Thassa, God of the Sea
    4 Master of Waves

Artifacts:
    3 Bident of Thassa
    1 Hall of Triumph

Instants:
    2 Voyage's End
    2 Fated Infatuation

Lands:
    3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
    21 Island

Sideboard:
    2 Dissolve
    4 Gainsay
    4 Prognostic Sphinx
    3 Dictate of Kruphix
    2 Triton Tactics
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

[THS Block] Mono-U Devotion Empty Re: [THS Block] Mono-U Devotion

Post by Rodrigo Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 pm

Having to play with Mindreaver must be infuriating.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:16 pm

Yeah but it's 2 Blue devotion for 2 mana. It's no Tidebinder Mage, but it's so important to have at least one 2-drop that gives 2 devotion, and it's not like there's better options; I have to play 4 Omenspeaker ffs.
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Post by .Rai Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Mono-blue devotion is nowhere near one of the better decks in Block Constructed. It would pain me to play Omenspeaker.

Thoughts on Dakra Mystic? The damage output from Triton Shorestalker isn't that significant; mono-blue doesn't win without getting out Master of Waves or Thassa anyway. Dakra's ability is somewhere between a draw and a scry. Or possibly just play it over Omenspeaker.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Post by Ashiok Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Well yeah it definitely wasn't before it got some actual 1-drops. I feel like it actually has a critical mass of... things so that it's playable if not good since it still gets to play the 2 cards that push it over the top in standard. Bident also feels even stronger in block, which is certainly a good thing for this deck.

I feel like Shorestalker is absolutely necessary. It's always unblockable so it's always some kind of clock and hitting for 1 every turn of the game is at least something. It's also super important, imo, that it combos with both Bident and Hall of Triumph. It gives the deck the best chance to win without Thassa or Master of Waves, when combined with everything else. Which I think is something that really, really shouldn't be overlooked. Darka Mystic is just a very dorky 1/1, with no evasion and a generally mediocre ability that relies a lot on variance to work. That said, Fated Infatuation is looking worse and worse and it might not be the worst thing to replace it with since it does at least add devotion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 pm