CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Share
    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:03 am

    We're thinking of holding a triannual TCG tournament; every four months, having a tournament in one of the big three TCGs of this forum.

    Prizes include a small amount of cash, some DN time, and Donater status.

    These tournaments would be held every four months, with YGO in January, M:tG in May, and CF!!V in September.

    Your thoughts?
    avatar
    Armz
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

    Posts : 869
    Rep : 36
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Location : The last place you look

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Armz on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:11 am

    Demon Chick wrote:Prizes include a small amount of cash-
    Out of curiosity, how do you plan to manage that?


    _________________

    GET RKET SCRUB

    Rodrigo wrote:Armz is the guy I looked up to on YCM. He's just so cool.
    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:12 am

    Paypal or something.

    I've got a job, so something along the lines of $10 seems cool enough.
    avatar
    Armz
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

    Posts : 869
    Rep : 36
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Location : The last place you look

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Armz on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:19 am

    Demon Chick wrote:Paypal or something.

    I've got a job, so something along the lines of $10 seems cool enough.
    I'm suddenly under the impression everyone will enter tryhard mode, and just play a bunch of sacky, lackluster decks.
    Not really surprised, though, since I don't blame them. 10$ out of nowhere is pretty cool.


    _________________

    GET RKET SCRUB

    Rodrigo wrote:Armz is the guy I looked up to on YCM. He's just so cool.
    avatar
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

    Posts : 8213
    Rep : 45
    Join date : 2012-04-05
    Age : 21

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:20 am

    This is an awesome idea Smile It would let us all play more often, and give us an excuse to play stuff outside of magic too Smile


    _________________
    Formerly-Wi Fi Master Jordan
    Garazza wrote:You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games

    avatar
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

    Posts : 1792
    Rep : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 20

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Dae of Judgment on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:23 am

    Question, wouldn't this thread be more useful in Suggestions? Seems kind of weird to be in the YGO subforum.


    Also, just a heads. I am not really up-to-date with Vanguard much, but I know Yu-Gi-Oh has a banlist following every September and March while that is basically MtG's Standard.

    The YGO Format would be its Advanced Format.
    The MtG Format would be its Standard Format.
    The Vanguard Format would be whatever exists.

    Now, for things, would these change? I know YGO only has 1 other format, but MtG has a wide variety. Most of us on here either play Commander, Modern, or Standard.


    _________________

    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:25 am

    Armz wrote:
    Demon Chick wrote:Paypal or something.

    I've got a job, so something along the lines of $10 seems cool enough.
    I'm suddenly under the impression everyone will enter tryhard mode, and just play a bunch of sacky, lackluster decks.
    Not really surprised, though, since I don't blame them. 10$ out of nowhere is pretty cool.
    Which, well, is kind of what I want to see.  Competitive spirit leads to increased activity, which is honestly what I think will help scoot this forum along.  Plus, the ability to advertise a tournament across more than one place (e.g. YCM, DN, etc.) will bolster all activity here, and probably help gather new members.

    That being said, there are going to be rules, and certain decktypes are not allowed.

    Jordan, Lich Lord wrote:This is an awesome idea Smile It would let us all play more often, and give us an excuse to play stuff outside of magic too Smile
    Another thing I wanted - versatility among the forumgoers.  I feel like people should be well-versed in all of the games, as to promote bonding.

    God, I sound like a politician.  XD

    Dae of Judgment wrote:Question, wouldn't this thread be more useful in Suggestions? Seems kind of weird to be in the YGO subforum.


    Also, just a heads. I am not really up-to-date with Vanguard much, but I know Yu-Gi-Oh has a banlist following every September and March while that is basically MtG's Standard. 

    The YGO Format would be its Advanced Format.
    The MtG Format would be its Standard Format.
    The Vanguard Format would be whatever exists. 

    Now, for things, would these change? I know YGO only has 1 other format, but MtG has a wide variety. Most of us on here either play Commander, Modern, or Standard. 
    It would be pretty much exactly as you described.

    And yeah, I'll move it to Suggestions.  I just thought it'd fit better in the place where the first tournament would happen.
    avatar
    Armz
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

    Posts : 869
    Rep : 36
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Location : The last place you look

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Armz on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:28 am

    Demon Chick wrote:certain decktypes are not allowed.
    No, don't do this. The list would be potentially too damn long.


    _________________

    GET RKET SCRUB

    Rodrigo wrote:Armz is the guy I looked up to on YCM. He's just so cool.
    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:30 am

    Armz wrote:
    Demon Chick wrote:certain decktypes are not allowed.
    No, don't do this. The list would be potentially too damn long.
    I'm talking about the stuff like burn, exodia, stall, etc.

    Although implementing certain bans on stuff may come into play, too.  I know how you love your scraps and wish for them to be tier 0, but the meta changes.  :c
    avatar
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

    Posts : 3549
    Rep : 31
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 22
    Location : A flying tea saucer.

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Ashiok on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:31 am

    If you're going for cash prizes, you aim to breed competitiveness. If you aim to breed competitiveness, you don't ban certain things. The games themselves have their own sets of rules and banlists that should be followed and you shouldn't be changing that.

    People's disdainment towards the meta should not be used as a litmus test for a competitive tournament's rulings.


    _________________
    Just call me Chris


    "It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."
    avatar
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

    Posts : 8213
    Rep : 45
    Join date : 2012-04-05
    Age : 21

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:32 am

    Since I mainly play magic, what's the deal with Burn in Yugioh? Why is it hated?


    _________________
    Formerly-Wi Fi Master Jordan
    Garazza wrote:You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games

    avatar
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

    Posts : 3549
    Rep : 31
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 22
    Location : A flying tea saucer.

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Ashiok on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:33 am

    Yugioh players hate combo/stall, which Burn is the combined factors of.

    Which I personally no longer understand, as someone who really enjoys playing Chain Burn.


    _________________
    Just call me Chris


    "It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."
    avatar
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

    Posts : 1792
    Rep : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 20

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Dae of Judgment on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am

    Chris, you were opened up to the world of MtG, YGO has no relevance to the power-level of most formats in MtG.

    But, if this does take place, it would dish out my interest in CF!!V more-so and probably force me to get into YGO. It won't just increase activity in mind, but also the type of TCGs people play. But, I have to agree with Chris on the idea of restricting decks. It just stops people from joining and seems really anti- what you're trying to achieve with this whole idea.


    _________________

    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:37 am

    Ashiok wrote:If you're going for cash prizes, you aim to breed competitiveness. If you aim to breed competitiveness, you don't ban certain things. The games themselves have their own sets of rules and banlists that should be followed and you shouldn't be changing that.

    People's disdainment towards the meta should not be used as a litmus test for a competitive tournament's rulings.
    ...and that's another view I have to consider.  This is why I created a discussion thread.  It's a tournament for our forum that could potentially draw quite a few people from quite a few places, and thus get this place to be a bit more popular.  If we're going to do that, then the people that are already here need to come to a good decision on what the tournament should be.

    Chris's idea is really the one that, when you boil it down, makes the most sense.  The games should be played the ways the creators designed them.  However, a lot of the toxic elements that exist in these games are just plain unfun - something I'd wish to avoid in tournaments.  I just want to find sort of a balance between 'fun' and 'competitive'.  I was never the greatest with those types of decisions, so yeah.
    avatar
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

    Posts : 3549
    Rep : 31
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 22
    Location : A flying tea saucer.

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Ashiok on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:42 am

    Those reasons are why banlists exist. Besides, no one would play these games if they weren't actually fun. Not to mention competitiveness and fun aren't in any way mutually exclusive. As someone who is actively competitive in MTG, it only increases the fun for me, personally.

    TCGs can quite naturally go through stages of being un-fun, even if they are rare, but that's going to be something you'd have to just roll with, seeing as custom bannings and the like only take away from the competitive nature of a tournament. Either way, any custom bannings you could implement would only leave people playing the most competitive thing you leave behind. The only problem them is you can easily not leave the game balanced in any way, not to mention people tend to prepare for the actual competitive metagame, and those people who do so should surely be rewarded and not punished.

    ...That may have just been a lot of thoughts quickly mashed into one. It's almost 4 am, so idk if that made sense.


    _________________
    Just call me Chris


    "It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."
    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 am

    Ashiok wrote:Those reasons are why banlists exist. Besides, no one would play these games if they weren't actually fun. Not to mention competitiveness and fun aren't in any way mutually exclusive. As someone who is actively competitive in MTG, it only increases the fun for me, personally.

    TCGs can quite naturally go through stages of being un-fun, even if they are rare, but that's going to be something you'd have to just roll with, seeing as custom bannings and the like only take away from the competitive nature of a tournament. Either way, any custom bannings you could implement would only leave people playing the most competitive thing you leave behind. The only problem them is you can easily not leave the game balanced in any way, not to mention people tend to prepare for the actual competitive metagame, and those people who do so should surely be rewarded and not punished.

    ...That may have just been a lot of thoughts quickly mashed into one. It's almost 4 am, so idk if that made sense.
    No, it made perfect sense, and I get you.  That's just the nature of games in general, I guess.

    This thread will be open for a while before development starts.  I aim to host the tournament sometime in mid-January, around the 18th.
    avatar
    Armz
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

    Posts : 869
    Rep : 36
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Location : The last place you look

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Armz on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:44 am

    Demon Chick wrote: I know how you love your scraps-
    It's been a while since I've played them; Been playing Fire Kings.
    But that's irrelevant.

    If you wanted to be cool, you could say everyone has to play Crystal Beasts. But that would probably be a massive train wreck, and defeat the purpose.


    _________________

    GET RKET SCRUB

    Rodrigo wrote:Armz is the guy I looked up to on YCM. He's just so cool.
    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:46 am

    Hey, Crystal Beasts can be awesome, don't diss them.

    And hey, these don't have to be the only tournaments.  I'd love to have weekly mini-tourneys with weird restrictions like that placed on decks.  Not competitive, but it could have its own little leader board.
    avatar
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

    Posts : 1792
    Rep : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 20

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Dae of Judgment on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:48 am

    Well, how about we also introduce the type of decks. Maybe write primers for decks in the current meta, should introduce people for an easier fit into the game. In sense for players into to get into a game where they learn about existing decks. This should also increase people's involvement in forum areas. I know that it helped me to get involved in YGO's last meta when I was reading on some other sites.


    _________________

    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:50 am

    Little teaching havens, eh?

    A mentor-like system in the preceding months could potentially attract a lot of people wanting to play, totally.  That actually sounds rather awesome.
    avatar
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

    Posts : 1792
    Rep : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 20

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Dae of Judgment on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:52 am

    Demon Chick wrote:Hey, Crystal Beasts can be awesome, don't diss them.

    And hey, these don't have to be the only tournaments. I'd love to have weekly mini-tourneys with weird restrictions like that placed on decks. Not competitive, but it could have its own little leader board.
    This also goes into YCM's Custom Meta forum that existed before I left. People would have their own banned list, their own format. It could be fun to sample this out weekly. Even some theme-based tournaments to work with people on decks. Rai used to do Weekly Brews for MtG on this forum where he would be the judge. Most of the members of that subforum got involved in it. Not sure if I am clear, but the tournaments just don't have to be based on duels/matches, it could be based on theory or deckbuilding.


    _________________

    avatar
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

    Posts : 8213
    Rep : 45
    Join date : 2012-04-05
    Age : 21

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:54 am

    I always loved the weekly brews of Rais Smile We need more of those.


    _________________
    Formerly-Wi Fi Master Jordan
    Garazza wrote:You seem to be a jack of all trades. You can discuss most anything and play most card games

    avatar
    Luna Ori
    Baka
    Baka

    Posts : 316
    Rep : 7
    Join date : 2012-04-03
    Age : 23
    Location :

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Luna Ori on Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:55 am

    Seems like we should get him on this boat, then.
    avatar
    Dae of Judgment
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

    Posts : 1792
    Rep : 22
    Join date : 2012-04-04
    Age : 20

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Dae of Judgment on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:02 am

    Rai should appear in a few hours. The idea is really that complicated, though. It mostly worked around a certain card or idea and which ever he felt was better, was. Here are the examples:

    http://cardgamecoalition.forumotion.com/t2323-mtg-rai-s-brew-competition-ii-ultimatums-results-in
    http://cardgamecoalition.forumotion.com/t2241-mtg-rai-s-brew-competition-i-results-in

    Clearly, we could expand on it, or something, but it was rather fun to participate in.


    _________________

    avatar
    Armz
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

    Posts : 869
    Rep : 36
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Location : The last place you look

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Armz on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:03 am

    Dae of Judgment wrote:People would have their own banned list-
    Metal Hyper Format '08
    Banned:
    Everything in and passed Cybernetic Revolution, except for the Cyber Dragon cards

    Limited:
    Rare Fish

    Semi Limited:
    Nothing

    Unlimited:
    Everything else

    ...Don't ask why I remember this.


    _________________

    GET RKET SCRUB

    Rodrigo wrote:Armz is the guy I looked up to on YCM. He's just so cool.

    Sponsored content

    Re: CGC TCG Tri-annual Tournament: Your thoughts?

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 am