Returned Phalanx

Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Returned Phalanx

Post by Ashiok on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:27 pm

Because I feel bad now, for neglecting this card as a standard staple in UBx control decks.

The fact that it's a 3/3 actually means it can trade against stuff that G/W aggro decks can throw at you, unlike Omenspeaker. The fact that it attacks for 3 is incredibly relevant in the control matchup. If they shock themselves once, this hitting makes AEtherling a 2 turn kill. It's also an actual threat against control that doesn't die to Doom Blade, and while 2 mana to attack is annoying, it's not a huge cost for 3 damage that beats over any non-AEtherling creature they'll play.

The choice for the 2 mana blocker in blue based control decks (in this case mainly Grixis) is between this, Omenspeaker and Frostburn Weird, essentially. All have their upsides, with Omenspeaker making 7s more keepable, Frostburn Weird having 4 toughness (this doesn't realistically keep it out of Jet/Strike range a lot of the time since you will be pumping it) and this being the most solid across the board without needing to sink mana into it to trade and surviving a Magma Jet always.

I am definitely going to be testing this, now, after looking at the massive upside it has.

"It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Re: Returned Phalanx

Post by .Rai on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 pm

I overlooked this too. It's actually really decent in aggro matchups too (in theory).

Reminds me a lot of Ogre Jailbreaker, but it's just so much more efficient that it sees a fighting chance. I'd love to see it being played because these types of card are really satisfying.

Moderators

Rep : 3

Post by Pack Rat on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:11 pm

I don't like how you have to keep pumping mana into it to actually let it attack...but seems like a solid option.
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Post by Rodrigo on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:37 pm

That's actually an interesting theory.

Although, Omenspeaker adds a lot of early game value. It isn't Augur of Bolas, but still.

Moderators

Rep : 31

Post by Ashiok on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

It also doesn't kill a legion of attacking 2/2s.

"It's easy to believe you're a god when you're twice as powerful as everyone else."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:47 pm