Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Rodrigo
Ashiok
6 posters

Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Elspeth, Sun's Champion Empty Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Post by Ashiok Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:07 am

Elspeth, Sun's Champion B6XkHKO471M_EN_LR

So, after theorising, I'm going to just say that I feel Elspeth is the best control finisher possible given what we know so far about the coming format. Yes, that means better than Aetherling, better than Assemble the Legion, better than Angel of Serenity and better than being Bant control and bashing with big dumb green stuff.

Unlike Aetherling, she can actually be cast turn 6 and add a huge amount of defence to the board, and Theros appears to be really helping the whole "go big or go home" version of midrange decks, which her -3 shines against. Her +1 outraces an Assemble the Legion for 7 turns, which is insane since if you ever last 7 turns with Assemble in play, your opponent already scooped, while she's also likely less killable and available to more decks due to her non-Enchantment type and being monocoloured, respectively.

Angel loops are, put simply, far too easy to stop to be considered, imo.

Bant lost Farseek which was the reason to play Bant anyway, so that's pretty much a non-argument.

Seriously hope I can get multiples of her asap.

Oh and any Planeswalker with art by Eric Deschamps wins like infinite style points. Welcome to the group of the most badass 'Walkers around, Elspeth.
    Rodrigo
    Rodrigo
    Admin
    Admin

Rep : 76

Elspeth, Sun's Champion Empty Re: Elspeth, Sun's Champion

Post by Rodrigo Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Elspeth has always been one of the best planeswalkers ever.

Her first form is only below Jace according to most people.

Her second form is also pretty powerful.

But this one is indeed amazing for control. I love how everyone said she was bad looking at only the mana cost.
    Capricorn El Cid
    Capricorn El Cid
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 19

Post by Capricorn El Cid Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:28 pm

dat a**

Yeah she looks not so special on paper but cards like her actually play way better than what we think...
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Alow me to bring my post on my LGSs Facebook here.

I think she's really good. Her +1 can protect her, or if your in a good position can get though for damage. -3 is a good wipe. and the ultimate is an ultimate, albeit a lackluster one.
    Ashiok
    Ashiok
    Moderators
    Moderators

Rep : 31

Post by Ashiok Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Just gonna say, using her ultimate will only ever be a way to win a game you've already won quicker. Essentially, you ignore her ultimate in terms of evaluation.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Yeah, You always want to see if the 1st and Second abilities are good to be your judge of the card.

And I would say her first 2 are awesome Smile
    .Rai
    .Rai
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 26

Post by .Rai Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:48 pm

There's usually very little reason to use the ultimate (as Chris said, it's basically a win more thing when you're already winning). That said, she's clearly just amazing regardless (second best Elspeth, and that's only really because Knight-Errant was hilariously good).

People keep on mentioning her mana cost which is silly, because she's clearly a control finisher. And a great one. Also, Elspeth is just awesome as a character, despite her being the most cowardly lady knight ever.
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Kyousuke Kousaka
    Elite Member
    Elite Member

Rep : 4

Post by Kyousuke Kousaka Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 am

May have already mentioned this, but with Purphoros + Elspeth, +1 to get 6 damage off and make 3 blockers is pretty damn amusing in theory.

Initially didn't like her because I didn't do what I've always liked to do, which is look ahead at the future format to determine whether or not she does things against potential problems. And for the most part, she does.

Then I realized I could make a cute upper-curve midrange combo with her and Purphy, so I said "screw it, 2 of her wouldn't be bad at all." In any variant of midrange/control with white, really. She does have a nice large-body wipe, and making lots of dudes is pretty chill, so hey. Decent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am