Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel {This is quite fantastic.}/ego [Chapter 1]

- Neo -
    Members
    Members

Rep : 0

Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel {This is quite fantastic.}/ego [Chapter 1]

Post by - Neo - on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Episode 1: The Battle Begins:

“This kind of technology is not only top-secret, but currently in development, as well. For us to risk anyone gaining word of it is absolutely not a chance I’m willing to take. Do you understand what that means?” The man, Takumi Moreno, spoke to his colleagues, seated around a large, wooden table in one of the most modern, up-to-date conference rooms one could find.

Seated around him were people of various shapes, cultures, and sizes. However, the one thing they all had in common was their place amongst the world’s top Duel Monsters Development Team – CodeEngine, or CodEn for short. As the years progressed, they had slowly worked their way towards the top of the food chain, so-to-speak. And with last year’s budget crisis, had finally been able to surpass KaibaCorporation as the world’s premier dueling design organization. The news came as a surprise to few, but seeing KaibaCorp go out of business nearly one-hundred years after its original rise to power was a shock to some, particularly those who had seen the company rise from its early stages to a powerhouse monstrosity.

The technology he was referring to was something revolutionary. Something he himself had designed and come up with, keeping it from almost everyone except those who needed to know bits and pieces to aid in the construction.

The original inspiration for the design was the Duel Runner, a popular vehicle used for travel and for "Speed Duels" in the city, fifty years earlier. After a while, these types of duels began to fall out of favor, and eventually, became irrelevant altogether. What remained of the Duel Runners became methods of travel for those who couldn't quite afford something better.

Dueling had once again became an on-foot competition, and he had no intention of changing that by reviving the concept of the Turbo Duel. What he did plan to do, however, was create an incredible energy source using the technology that allowed the Duel Runner to be constructed in the first place.

This system, of which he had not yet come up with a name, would allow Duelists to ride on the Runners, completely re-vamped and brought up-to-date, whilst attaching their D-Disk to the bike's mainframe, allowing normal duels to take place whilst traveling. The point? Generating energy. Each vehicle would have a variety of chips, using all sorts of technology and drawing power from the duels themselves as well as the passion of the duelists, to power and maintain the entire city.

There were some risks, but he had people for that. A few disposables, you might say. People who would be responsible for testing these new machines, and should there be no failures, CodEn could mass release them, making more than sufficent amounts of money as people hopped onto the latest trend. In addition, the company's standing in the public and professional eye would multiply tenfold.

"With this technology here today, that I will be revealing to all of you for the first time, I have put my life's work." Takumi spoke, as the people seated around the table began to chatter anxiously amongst themselves; many of them were very interested in seeing this new design after months and months of rumors. Would this finally be the tool to propel them to superstardom?

As he reached for the curtain covering the board which stood before them,

- - -

The one and only Runner of its kind, the V-Duel, was being sped down a sidestreet in the darkness of the night, the only vehicle on the road in Neo Domino at all. Takumi's assistants had been working on getting the product finalized, and at long last, the test bike had been completed. Of course, the only way to transfer it that far across town was to travel at night, where no one would see it and wonder what was going on, noticing the incredible differences between the old Duel Runners and this modern technology.

Terrance gripped the handles tight, almost losing control of the bike as he took a swift turn around the corner, passing the Domino City Duel Stadium, which had actually been packed earlier in the day with a big event, but was now empty, aside from maybe a security guard or two. They were of no concern. He had to get the bike to the CodEn headquarters quickly, and without notice. Those had been the orders he received, and going against Takumi was not a mistake he intended to make. However, the bike was shaky; it was far from perfected, and he could tell just from driving it that plenty of things would need to be changed before a product of the sort could be mass released.

Terrance was only twenty-five years old, but he had been working and designing duel technology for almost ten years, and had gained quite a reputation for it amongst those in power. Before KaibaCorp had been usurped, they had contacted him many times to assist in the process, and now CodEn was doing the same thing. Only difference, these people weren't normal businessmen. They had scary connections, and it wasn't a matter of whether or not he wanted to do the business. Rather, a matter of whether or not he wanted to remain in one piece of suffer the consequences.

The bike was powered throughout a series of underground networks, all of which generated energy. With this new technology, the bike would then take that energy and transfer it through different networks, and these networks would transport it to a main collection panel in the city, where it would be used to power anything and everything that needed it. The problem was the risks involved. Duel Monsters had a known history of strange occurences, including but not limited to Zero Reverse, which had happened over fifty years earlier. Most people had forgotten, but there were some who were alive to witness it happen, and the memories were more than evident.

Terrance of course, had not, but he'd heard many stories, and knew the dangers involved in a project like this. While its intentions were beneficial, CodEn's lack of concern for the outcome was not. This was a money project, no doubt about it. The more intense and passionate a duel was, the more energy the bike would generate. How much energy it would take to cause another devastating catastrophe like Zero Reverse years before was unknown.

The bike had a much sleeker frame, metallic in color, with the most up-to-date, reinforced tires that could handle any sort of conditions. Takumi's plan was to harness this technology to create all kinds of duel scenarios, taking the game to new heights that people had never seen before. Duels in mountains, forests, you name it - but the risks were very real.

Control-wise, it seemed to run fine. But even then, he wasn't sure.

"What's the status on the transportation?" A voice came over the radio, muffled so as to hide the identity of whoever was speaking.

"On my way as we speak," Terrance replied, keeping his eyes focused on the road ahead. "It seems to be testing alright, but I'm not sure I'd trust it. This is far from complete."

"That's no concern of yours," the voice said, superiority behind it. "Do not involve yourself in this business. You were asked and paid to construct it. From there, we will handle it. All you have to do is leave it at the instructed location, and from there, its as if this never happened. That was the contract you signed. You are aware of this, aren't you?"

"Right..." Terrance was hesitant to comply, if only because he knew of the possible outcomes. If something were to happen, this would be the only opportunity to stop it. Once CodEn had this technology in their hands, there would be no way to stop a release of the sort. This was the kind of thing people would jump onto almost immediately, especially duelists who were looking to up their game or increase how well they were known. But what could happen...

As the caller hung up the phone, he continued to ride, his mind starting to wander in a variety of directions, many of which did not yield positive thoughts. Loosely gripping the handle and not paying much attention, he felt the bike jolt to the side, and quickly lost control, remembering nothing but the glow of a street light as he collided with the side of the stadium wall, passing out almost instantly.

- - -

Hours must have passed before he woke up, but it was still dark. Everything seemed unfamiliar, but he was snapped back to reality as a kid stood over him, probably no more than seventeen years old. He was by himself, it seemed, standing directly in front of the street light, doing his best to keep the light out of Terrance's eyes.

Somebody else out here at this out? There was no way...quickly he sat up, shocked. The bike! Where was it? What kind of condition was it in? He was supposed to have it there before morning and he had no clue what time it was – or where he was, for that matter.

“Nice to see you're alive,” the kid said, extending a somewhat smaller hand to help him to his feet. Terrance complied a bit unknowingly. “You're lucky, that was a rough shot. You seem to be a bit bruised up, but aside from that, I'm sure you're fine. What's weird, though, is the bike hardly suffered any damage at all. Nice ride you got there.”

Terrance glanced over towards the wall he'd collided with. There was a decent-sized dent in the wall, but the bike, which had been stood up and was now leaning, had very little damage. “Thanks...I guess. Hey, how did you find me out here? It's not exactly a common time for people to be out on the street.”

The boy rolled his eyes. “Like I listen to those rules. Anyway, I was taking my own Runner for a spin; looks like great minds think alike, I suppose. Yours is unique though, I must say. I wasn't aware people were still riding these, never mind making new ones.”

Something was off. He wasn't sure what it was, but Terrance sensed a hint of sarcasm in the boy's voice, as if he knew something, but wasn't saying it. Is he a CodEn agent? Is this some kind of test, they sent someone out to make sure the job got done properly? I don't get it...

“It's uh...just a hobby of mine,” Terrance replied, unconvincingly. “Something I do in my spare time. I build 'em.”

“Same here, mate.” The boy looked towards the bike, then back. He brushed his dark brown hair to the side, clearing his face. “Only difference is, you're rockin' a Pilot Chip. I've heard of 'em, never actually seen one. The panel cover was knocked off the bike, so I fixed it up. Couldn't help but notice. That's far from legal, you know.”

There was the clincher. It made sense now – Terrance realized he was dealing with someone close to his own level of intelligence, at least when it came to dealing with Duel Technology. He was right – Pilot Chips weren't legal for use in anything; of course, the amount of energy they could generate was risky. However, Takumi had ordered its use, and he wasn't going to go against orders. “If you know about the chip, you must be into some sort of not-so-legal research yourself. It's not exactly public information.”

“Didn't say I wasn't. But that's my business.” He reached into his pocket for a moment, feeling around for something, and pulled out a small data chip, no bigger than a piece of cereal. “I believe this is yours.”

“The Pilot Chip!” Terrance growled. “You disconnected it?!”

“I did,” he nodded. “But I'd be more than happy to re-install it. All I'd like in return is one thing.”

“What's that?” This wasn't looking good; he was already hours late for the mission.

“A duel.”

“Right now?” Terrance asked. “It's the middle of the night, are you crazy? There's no way we won't attract some sort of attention.”

“That's the fun of it, no? And besides, I ain't talking about a regular duel, mate.” He walked over to the edge of the sidewalk, revealing a bright red Runner, looking sleek and newer than Terrance's own model. “We've both got some new rides, let's test 'em out.”

There's no way he could have an interframe like this one...could he? What should he do? He had to get that chip back. Might as well test the Runner while he was at it. “I'm not sure I'm in any condition to ride, but you've got it.”

“Let's do this.”

Limping, he pulled himself over to the bike. This was only the beginning, wasn't it? Somehow he couldn't shake that feeling.

To be continued...

This is the first Episode; I'm up to 14 on YCM, so obviously I'll be posting these a little faster over here since there are a lot more, but I'd love some feedback. Smile

HiveNet
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 7

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! D-Accel {This is quite fantastic.}/ego [Chapter 1]

Post by HiveNet on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:47 pm

First comment. Again.

All the stuff I've said on YCM still apllies, but this will be a good way for me to remember who everyone actually is...

Also, awesome start. I don't think I commented on the first chapter before. But yeah, its a nice setting of things to come.

"Good thing I brought my Axe Cane"
    - Neo -
    Members
    Members

Post by - Neo - on Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:04 pm

HiveNet wrote:First comment. Again.

All the stuff I've said on YCM still apllies, but this will be a good way for me to remember who everyone actually is...

Also, awesome start. I don't think I commented on the first chapter before. But yeah, its a nice setting of things to come.

Like I said, strictly due to the larger member base, YCM will take precedence with newer episodes because I can expand to more people, but I plan to post them all here a day or two after they're originally posted. Hopefully I'll be able to attract some readers here as well. Smile

- Neo -
    Members
    Members

Post by - Neo - on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:32 am

Finished Episode 14, but for some reason YCM is down so I haven't been able to post it. On that note, once YCM is working again, I'll be able to post Episode 2 over here, as well.

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:28 am

This looks pretty good, I cant wait to read more.

- Neo -
    Members
    Members

Post by - Neo - on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:35 am

Jordan-The Manamancer wrote:This looks pretty good, I cant wait to read more.

Thanks! Thinking I'll post up 2 and 3 tonight, if I can get YCM to work. Neutral

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:26 pm