Cardgame Coalition

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Madoka Magica

Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Rep : 45

Madoka Magica Empty Madoka Magica

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Madoka Magica Madoka-magica_9819

"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a Magical Girl."
    Homura Akemi

Madoka Kaname is an Ordinary Middle School Student with a working mother, a stay-at-home dad and a close circle of friends. Other than a strange dream about a black-haired girl fighting off a huge monster in a ruined city, her life is a peaceful one. Then, one day, that black-haired girl, Homura Akemi, transfers to their class.

Things begin to change when, after school, Madoka hears someone's voice calling out to her. This voice belongs to Kyubey, a small cat- or ferret-like creature. She and her best friend, Sayaka Miki, then find themselves in a bizarre dream world where they witness an upperclassman, Mami Tomoe, transform into a Magical Girl and save them from otherworldly monsters. Kyubey then asks Madoka and Sayaka to become magical girls, too. The process is very simple - Kyubey will grant them a wish (any wish, no matter how small) and in exchange, they will sign a contract with him, which will allow them to become magical girls...

Too bad things simply are not as they seem to be.

Bringing together an all-star staff, Puella Magi Madoka Magica has Studio Shaft animating, Shaft's primary director Akiyuki Shinbo directing, Yuki Kajiura producing the music, Nitro+'s Gen Urobuchi writing and Ume Aoki designing the characters for Shaft's first original series. The show started airing in January as part of the Winter 2011 season, though it was put on a temporary hiatus due to the Sendai earthquakes in Japan. The final two episodes were broadcast back-to-back on April 21st;Madoka Magica External_link the initial announcement was met with much rejoicing. When it was aired on Nico Nico DougaMadoka Magica External_link, over one million people watched. Compare this to Lucky Star's similar stream, which had over half a million.

Initially, there were three manga series related to this anime. The first is a direct adaptation of the television series, under the same title. The others are Spin Offs. Puella Magi Kazumi Magica: The Innocent Malice focuses on a different cast of Magical Girls while Puella Magi Oriko Magica features characters from the anime as well as several new characters. For both of these series, it is strongly recommended to watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica first since they reveal critical plot elements from the anime. Some time after the anime ended, an official but noncanon manga anthology series was released. A fourth manga series with the same artist as the first manga has been announced. It is set to be published in the Fall of 2012, alongside the first two movies.

This series has a wikiMadoka Magica External_link which is maintained and updated very efficiently. Therefore, proceed with caution as spoilers abound.

A dub of the series has been confirmedMadoka Magica External_link. Aniplex USA's teaser page for the series can be found hereMadoka Magica External_link, now updated with more information about the characters and the series itself. Yen Press has confirmedMadoka Magica External_link that they will be publishing the manga adaptation of the series in English. Finally, CrunchyrollMadoka Magica External_link and HuluMadoka Magica External_link have begun streaming the series for free.

Namco Bandai is developing a video gameMadoka Magica External_link for the PSP, Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable. It is slated to be released in March of 2012, and its gameplay is described as a Roguelike RPG. Odds are good that it will avert The Problem with Licensed Games because of heavy involvement of the anime staff — Gen Urobuchi writing the scenario, and visual design by SHAFT and Gekidan InuCurry. An official iPhone game by MobageMadoka Magica External_link featuring four new magical girl characters has also been released.

Plans to make a theatrical film trilogyMadoka Magica External_link have been announced. The first two movies will premiere on October 6 and 13, 2012. It has been revealed that another Spin-Off manga will be released simultaneously with the two films (see above)

At some point a teaser website appearedMadoka Magica External_link playing voice clips from Madoka. It was eventually revealed to be for a Puella Magi online gameMadoka Magica External_link.

Dojinsoft group Tasogare Frontier, aka Tasofro, has released a Madoka fangameMadoka Magica External_link entitled Grief Syndrome.

Compare Neon Genesis Evangelion, Bokurano, Narutaru, Alien Nine, Princess Tutu, and Digimon Tamers for similar top-down, no-holds-barred abstract genre deconstructions. Definitely contrast Card Captor Sakura, which serves as the show's most obvious antecedent.

Compare and contrast Claymore, Elfen Lied, Lyrical Nanoha and Black★Rock Shooter which feature similar cases of specialized women fighting for survival.

For some of the inspiration of the series, see Faust.

/人‿‿人\ Anything is possible, if you make a contract with me!

This is one of my favorite anime's. I must confess there is something about these Magical Girl anime that I like. The fact that this one can get really depressing doesnt help either.
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Rep : 13

Madoka Magica Empty Re: Madoka Magica

Post by Dawn Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm gonna really have to say that if I can like some "Traditional" magical girl anime more than this, there may be no magical girl anime that I can dislike if I watch it... But even I haven't watched a lot of them. And even then, I'd probably only watch ones that actually sound interesting so it's not like some other anime I watched.

This was still really good, I loved it.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Dawn wrote:I'm gonna really have to say that if I can like some "Traditional" magical girl anime more than this, there may be no magical girl anime that I can dislike if I watch it... But even I haven't watched a lot of them. And even then, I'd probably only watch ones that actually sound interesting so it's not like some other anime I watched.

Ive only watched 2 I think...and to be honest TV tropes says that both of them dont really follow the same path as most do. This and Lyracal Nanoha. So I might not really like the genre it might just be these two shows.
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Dawn Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:55 pm

Jordan-The Manamancer wrote:
    Dawn wrote:I'm gonna really have to say that if I can like some "Traditional" magical girl anime more than this, there may be no magical girl anime that I can dislike if I watch it... But even I haven't watched a lot of them. And even then, I'd probably only watch ones that actually sound interesting so it's not like some other anime I watched.

Ive only watched 2 I think...and to be honest TV tropes says that both of them dont really follow the same path as most do. This and Lyracal Nanoha. So I might not really like the genre it might just be these two shows.
    Yeah, I get that, and my favorite is Nanoha. But about the actual thing, I can't wait for the movies but especially the third one since it has new stuff.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Dawn wrote:

Yeah, I get that, and my favorite is Nanoha. But about the actual thing, I can't wait for the movies but especially the third one since it has new stuff.

There's going to be new stuff in the third one?
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Dawn Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Dawn wrote:

The first two are recaps and the third is new material, yes.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:00 pm

Dawn wrote:
    Dawn wrote:

The first two are recaps and the third is new material, yes.

Cool now Ive got something to look forward too Smile
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Dawn Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:59 pm

http://www.mangareader.net/magical-girl-kazumi-magica

Oh, I'm currently reading this. Mostly one chapter a day and then sometimes some other manga.

Gonna read chapter 5 right now. Very Happy
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Dawn wrote:http://www.mangareader.net/magical-girl-kazumi-magica

Oh, I'm currently reading this. Mostly one chapter a day and then sometimes some other manga.

Gonna read chapter 5 right now. Very Happy

Hm I'll have to check it out sometime Smile
    HSektor
    HSektor
    Experienced Member
    Experienced Member

Rep : 16

Post by HSektor Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I WATCH IT FOR THE YURI SUBTEXT.

NO REGRETS.
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:41 pm

HSektor wrote:I WATCH IT FOR THE YURI SUBTEXT.

NO REGRETS.

Welcome Fellow Yuri Fan Smile
    Dawn
    Dawn
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member

Post by Dawn Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:25 pm

That isn't specifically why I watched it but... I definitely enjoyed that. :3
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Jordan, Lich Lord
    Legendary Member
    Legendary Member

Post by Jordan, Lich Lord Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Dawn wrote:That isn't specifically why I watched it but... I definitely enjoyed that. :3

I started watching for the cool fight scenes. The way the animation changed just made them look bizzare Smile

But I enjoy the yuri fannon as well.
    Magic Man
    Magic Man
    Members
    Members

Rep : 0

Post by Magic Man Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:21 am

Madoka was alright for me. It was definitely a good watch and it's safely established itself as a staple, but...I just didn't latch onto the characters and story as much as everyone else seems to have.
    That might have been because I watched it in 3 sittings as opposed to 1; each time they released 4 dubbed episodes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content